Repair Kit for Brake cylinders

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

Repair Kit for Brake cylinders

#1 Post by Alexis Collaud »

Hi,
I'm replacing the old rubbers and boots by new on the brake cylinders
I bought a repair kit and the Filler Piece 69535151900 is missing in the repair kit
12D40-644.352.912.01-1.jpg
12D40-644.352.912.01-1.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 953 times
Comparing with the installed system it seems also that spring is a little bit longer
I looked on internet but no Filler Piece is available and 4 of mine need to be changed

Does it mean that the new system doesnt require that part , or did I miss something ?

thank you for your help
Last edited by Alexis Collaud on Sat May 25, 2019 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: Repair Kit for Brake cylinders

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

Below is the 356 Workshop Manual illustration of the wheel cylinder. The "filler" or, cup expander, is mentioned in the 356B Parts Catalog but I've never seen such a part and you can see it is not in the illustration below. As for rebuilding your wheel cylinders, carefully inspect the bores for any erosion corrosion. Boring and installing sleeves will exceed the cost of new cylinders. Complete new cylinders in the US cost about $50. each for replacements or about $220. each for German ATE originals -- both kinds are available from stock from several sellers.
Attachments
Brake cyl components .jpg
Brake cyl components .jpg (157.71 KiB) Viewed 934 times

Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alexis Collaud »

Thanks, but it is still confusing
I was looking at the nb 30 and 45 which corresppnd to the number 7 in your drawing
cylinder.jpg
cylinder.jpg (76.35 KiB) Viewed 928 times

This part (30, 45 or 7) named Filler piece in the PET ot Spring seat in your drawing is the same And one or the other, impossible to find them!
You are right new Cylinders exist but I like the idea to restore as much as I can do !

What do you recommend ?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Brad; it is # 30, 45, 7, as Mr. Collaud mentions. Those parts are in all the cylinders, as illustrated.
Mr. Collaud; why are your old ones not usable? I have never seen a bad one.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brad Ripley »

Thank you for the correction. I guess Mr. Collard will have to disassemble a new cylinder to get the parts he needs. The parts in his photo contain the only repair pieces I know of.

Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alexis Collaud »

4 of the spring seat were in good shape, 4 are really bad :
spring seat.jpg
spring seat.jpg (125.27 KiB) Viewed 865 times
Any idea where I can find some
if not, I will buy new cylinder, not expensive when not ATE

thks

Alexis

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I can mail you some good used ones. Contact me with your address and phone number. No charge.

Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

#8 Post by Alexis Collaud »

Hi Vic,
I've sent you a email, let me know
that's would be super cool :)

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dick Weiss »

I've never seen a spring seat that bad during all my years, but I've saved some just in case. I haven't bought any kits lately and I don't recall if the piece(s) aren't included like the spring which still exist, unless rust?
My parts books don't show a part #, but assuming it would follow the spring's #695 351 518 00 w/--- --- 519 --.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dick Weiss »

I've never seen a spring seat that bad during all my years, but I've saved some just in case. I haven't bought any kits lately and I don't recall if the piece(s) aren't included like the spring which still exist, unless rust?
My parts books don't show a part #, but assuming it would follow the spring's #695 351 518 00 w/--- --- 519 --.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#11 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Sometimes it's just satisfying to save an old part. It wouldn't be too hard to make those expanders on a lathe out of Delrin. I've always just reused the old ones. But occasionally I've made aluminum "pushers", #3 when the originals are corroded. After honing with one of those 3 stone hones from the auto parts store you often find some pitting. Sometimes with a shorter pusher you can move the seal location to a good part of the cylinder. For me the most difficult part is usually dealing with the leaf springs and their small screws.
It seems to me that some repair kits only came with the rubber parts. It's been a while since I rebuilt a cylinder since I went to silicone brake fluid a long time ago and silicone doesn't suck moisture out of the air and rust the cylinders.
If you have a slightly corroded rear cylinder, you can bore it to 20mm and use American size rubber cups, just like some of the GT Carreras did. White Post used to do this

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#12 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Mr. Collaud, I have eight ready to go in the mail to you on Tuesday. Best wishes.

Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

#13 Post by Alexis Collaud »

thanks vic, it is very nice from you