Proper disc brake fluid time to change?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Re: Proper disc brake fluid time to change?

#16 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Mike and Paul: there are a million ways to screw something up but only one or a few to get it right. The fact that you screwed it up is a poor reason to assume that others can't get it right.

Al, I am a bit surprised at how long that Convertible D has gone on the original silicone fluid myself. I check the fluid level, often enough and have never had to add any. I have adjusted the brakes numerous times, changed shoes and inspected everything at that those times.

There was controvercy over silicone brake fluid back then in the 80's, friends were finding it leaking, mainly. Determined to try it, I completely rebuilt the brake system, to give it the best shot. It worked. I conclude that the silicone fluid doesn't attack the rubber parts as does conventional fluid. I intend to run this stuff on and on as long as the flexible lines continue to look good, because I think the likelihood of a sudden catastrophic failure is remote.

My observation of my failed brake cylinders, before I changed to silicone, was that they pitted exactly where the seals run, more on the bottom than on the top.
I attributed this to the seals wiping a bit of fluid out into the air as they moved. That fluid drew moisture which rusted the cylinder at that place. I occasionally saved a cylinder by thinning a spacer and running the seal farther up the cylinder. Of course, now we just buy new ones, but back then....

I have always wondered why, since silicone brake fluid works so well for me, no major manufacturer, before ABS, ever adopted it? And why without a major market, it remains available? I think Dow Corning is the manufacturer.

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Re: Proper disc brake fluid time to change?

#17 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hey all,
Would I be better off replacing disc brake pads with Metallic or Ceramic pads? Metallic seem lower price what is the trade off?
Also I assume the pads are interchangeable with stock 356C disc brake set up correct? Should I look for a hard or soft pad?
Thank you,
Steve