weber carbs, solex manifolds, linkage problem

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
fran kelly
356 Fan
Tag: shore bird

weber carbs, solex manifolds, linkage problem

#1 Post by fran kelly »

carb issue.jpg
carb issue.jpg (240.8 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
Hi all,
Finished a rebuild and with engine on the stand I was going through my checklist and... have had Weber's with solex intakes and adaptor plates with the original linkage. I have run the car for several years and always suspected the original linkage to be problematic and when I was operating the linkage to see if I had full throttle, I noticed the plates were not fully open - not completely vertical in the carbs as the ball on the linkage was hitting part of the return mount on the Weber's when I attempt to open the carbs all the way. Short of machining the ball or doing some alterations to the linkage I wonder if there is some other solution/option here. Have always been able to synchronize the carbs but I suspect I'm not getting full benefit at higher rpms. I like the Weber's but they do present unique installation issues.Thanks to all for thoughts -

fran kelly
carb issue.jpg
carb issue.jpg (240.8 KiB) Viewed 5860 times

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

Re: weber carbs, solex manifolds, linkage problem

#2 Post by Geoff Fleming »

You might try removing the nut/bolt combo where the linkage attaches to the Weber arm and putting it on so the ball joint is on the outside of the linkage where it won't contact any other part.

fran kelly
356 Fan

#3 Post by fran kelly »

thanks, no contact now with this alteration but drastically changes the angle of the linkage so that the carb opens less!

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#4 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Here is an alternative...remove the entire link from the carb. Use some heat and then hammer the bends flat. The ball attachment can now be replaced. You can also modify the now-straight arm by drilling a new hole and re-setting the ball where you feel it is most efficiently placed.

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#5 Post by Matthew Devereux »

I would look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45204

I've never used them but how about these https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p ... m?CartID=3

or these which are referred to in the above thread http://www.carburetion.com/Products/Pro ... =99005.314

At one time there was a special linkage set-up that had a large stand-off on one carb but these may not be available any more
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

fran kelly
356 Fan

#6 Post by fran kelly »

I actually came across the linkage parts made by Redline and will consider them - a product similar to what Geoff proposed doing to the original stock linage on the 40 IDF. Thanks