63B Fuel Tank Leak

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Craig Geiger
356 Fan

63B Fuel Tank Leak

#1 Post by Craig Geiger »

Looks like (and smells like) I've got a small leak coming from the bottom of the fuel tank. Car is a 63B T6... My question is, what does this assembly look like threading into/onto the tank? I haven't been able to find any parts diagrams or anything that help me understand how the fuel petcock attaches to the tank (and therefore understand how/why this may be leaking). Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

1963 356B T6

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: 63B Fuel Tank Leak

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

https://www.stoddard.com/porsche-356/ca ... nders.html The large nut is dual threaded union between petcock and tank. While you could be leaking at the union more likely is the tank is leaking.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: 63B Fuel Tank Leak

#3 Post by Dick Weiss »

Craig,

The petcock is attached to the tank nipple having RH threads; However, the petcok's threads are LH which the nut has its tank's RH
and the petcock's LH threads and when tightening the nut, the petcock will be attached. Make sure the necessary gaskets are correctly placed
(See Stoddard's diagram or shop manual) and finally--just barely start the nut on the LH threads so it will allow the nut's RH threads to tighten
the petcock to the tank to prevent any leaks.

Dick