Master Cylinder replaced

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Master Cylinder replaced

#1 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I just replaced my master cylinder on my 56 a. The brake bite has moved a little further down. Do I have to adjust the pushrod from the pedal to the cylinder?

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Re: Master Cylinder replaced

#2 Post by Neil Bardsley »

The book I had said not to change the pushrod adjustment but the service manual says I should. However, I couldn't figure out how to remove the floor board? It didn't seem to fit around the pedals?

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#3 Post by Robert Reed »

Niel,
I too replaced my master cylinder on my 62B, and had the same problem. I would have to look through all my receipts to recall where I bought mine.
I still have not gotten it to where I feel good about it, and I have screwed the rod down into the bracket that mounts to the pedal. I may end up removing the rod from the pedal to measure down into the master cylinder to determine if I feel good about how much more I need to bring the pedal up nearer to the pedal I like.
Bob

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#4 Post by Matthew Devereux »

There should be approx 1 mm free play in the rod that goes from the brake pedal assy into the master cylinder. This means taking out the drivers side floor board which means removing the throttle pedal and disconnecting the rod at the socket. Did you install a stock master cylinder?
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Yes I installed a stock master cylinder. Looked like the one I removed

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I've completely screwed something up. I got a firm pedal but further down the bite than I hoped. I decided to bleed the brakes again to be sure (I' can't remember if I checked the pedal again after this) Then I tried to adjust the push rod from the brake. I succeeded in completely unscrewing the rod from the pedal lever but got it back in.
I adjusted it to it's max length but now the pedal is completely soft. Feels like I'm going in circles. I've made it much worst :(

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#7 Post by Matthew Devereux »

Your not supposed to adjust it for max length. You should adjust it per the manual for the 1 mm free play in the rod (not the brake pedal) as I mentioned earlier. This is assuming brakes are adjusted and bled properly.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Problem sorted. I hadn't bleed the brakes correctly. Firm brake pedal and nice high bite

Al Zim
356 Fan

#9 Post by Al Zim »

If you follow the factory instructions for brake adjustment, after bleeding you will push the brake pedal to center the brakes. Then you will adjust each shoe to gently lock the wheel and back the shoes off 7 to 8 notches front and rear. This allows the center of the shoe to touch the brake drum first. Not the end of the shoe to touch first. The pedal should be low so you and toe heel the gas pedal and the brake when you are driving with spirit. al zim Zim's Autotechnik 800.356.2964 2019/05/02
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#10 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Thank you