Brake lights coming on late

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

Re: Brake lights coming on late

#16 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

I’m thinking that an air horn facing rear and a momentary switch would be a good thing with all the distractions that occur today with drivers. If they aren’t looking the brake light is useless.
Rusty

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#17 Post by DonCichocki »

Maybe a shotgun facing backwards … ooops, that's no politically correct. Just hug the guy after he/she hits you … ooops, that's not correct either. Just don't drive!

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#18 Post by Steve Turino »

DonCichocki wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:54 am Maybe a shotgun facing backwards … ooops, that's no politically correct. Just hug the guy after he/she hits you … ooops, that's not correct either. Just don't drive!
Since I don't own a shotgun (or any gun for that matter ) and I don't want people calling me Joe (sorry Mr Biden) I think I will follow Cliff Murray's ( thanks Cliff) template and make the steel bracket and buy the 911 switch. Oh boy! Another project! I am learning that owning a 356 is kind of like a marriage. You have to work at it!!! The rewards however are worth it. Or..... are they?
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#19 Post by Spike Jones »

Steve
This is the way I added the switch on my '58 cab. Pics were posted by C.J., I think.
Simple installation and works very well. You have to make an "L" shape bracket to hold the switch.
I would also recommend LED replacements for your rear light assemblies. MUCH brighter!!
Attachments
brake%20switch[1].jpg
brake%20switch[1].jpg (22.14 KiB) Viewed 652 times
brake%2520light%2520switch%2520compressed1[1].jpg
brake%2520light%2520switch%2520compressed1[1].jpg (39.83 KiB) Viewed 652 times
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#20 Post by Steve Turino »

Thank you all for the help. Looking forward to getting this done.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#21 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Steve when I installed my 911 brake light switch, I used an off-the-shelf bracket I picked up in Lowes. If you're not inclined to buy the metal stock and bend it, you can probably find a workable bracket at a big box home store. If you don't mind the extra holes. :) I figured i'd never see them. A fender washer works well on the brake cylinder rod to activate the switch.

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#22 Post by Steve Turino »

Sean
Thanks for those tips. As a life long woodworker, (phasing into retirement) I have some basic metal working skills as I've needed to make various fixtures- hardware over the years. Also my neighbor is a metal sculptor with all the necessary tools (bending brake, English wheel etc. etc.) I will probable just fabricate some kind of bracket.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#23 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Steve Turino wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:04 am Sean
Thanks for those tips. As a life long woodworker, (phasing into retirement) I have some basic metal working skills as I've needed to make various fixtures- hardware over the years. Also my neighbor is a metal sculptor with all the necessary tools (bending brake, English wheel etc. etc.) I will probable just fabricate some kind of bracket.
Even better! I have next to zero metalworking skills (as of now) so had to make do. Nice to have a neighbor with those tools!

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#24 Post by Harlan Halsey »

That pressure brake light switch is much the better engineering solution, Ron.

Pressure in the brake line actually indicates when the brakes are coming on, not just when something moved. And it is beautifully simple, and cheap, and not some Rube Goldberg contraption. Like anything else, they do occasionally fail. Just replace it, it is easy to do.