would like thoughts on steering wheel

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Reich
356 Fan

Re: would like thoughts on steering wheel

#16 Post by Mark Reich »

I had a wood wheel made by Jack Arckt for my T5. It is beautiful and I love the look and the feel. I have a fully restored T5 black plastic wheel in my spares collection so I can always swap it out. I think the original wheel design (wood or plastic) looks better than the Nardis for the Bs and Cs. And I think my chrome signal ring, as originally optioned, looks quite sporty!

Have fun!

Mark
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#17 Post by Edwin Ek »

Period Nardi wheels, with their slender wood, look pretty nice. The slender wood, especially with our non-power steering, gives great feel but is a little flimsy.

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#18 Post by Mark Reich »

Good point about the period wheels. The later ones are too small and thick. I really like the slender ones - I would call them "delicate" as opposed to "flimsy" but the feel is the same! Somehow those really thin wheels look just so vintage compared to the current thick leather-wrapped wheels.

Mark
Mark Reich

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#19 Post by Eric McKinley »

I had wooden wheels on other cars I owned, but nothing looks as nostalgic as the original C wheel.

I placed nappa leather on the wheel with an old style stitch pattern.
Attachments
C Wheel.jpg
C Wheel.jpg (88.94 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#20 Post by Mark Reich »

Eric, that looks beautiful and is a good compromise between those who like a really slender wheel and those who like the leather grip. Really nicely done.

Mark
Mark Reich

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#21 Post by Jim Liberty »

Over the years I've tried to improve on factory installed items form ignitions to steering wheels. Always go back to original. Porsche just does it right. ………………...Jim.
Jim Liberty

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#22 Post by Peter Silten »

Good choice. When I bought my B back in 73 it came with a wood steering wheel. I immediately traded it for an original. I did it for a variety of reasons. The first is that I like the look of the original, black steering wheel much better. And second, wood steering wheels pose an extra danger in the event of a head-on accident. I have seen one post-accident. My friend was lucky he didn't get speared in the chest. also replaced the wood steering wheel on my D with an original. The Nardi wheel that came with the D is nicely stored away.

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#23 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Good choice. I am biased of course having the black wheel with the dress ring.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Jeffrey Gamble
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jeffrey Gamble »

https://porsche356registry.org/article/113

Page of great eye candy,,, Master wood worker Jack Arc custom made a white mahogany, JA special grip & diam, w/ebony band that is great. Thank you Jack RIP...

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#25 Post by Edwin Ek »

Jeff, tell us (me) about the custom bezel with A horn button pictured at your link. I have a dished, slotted-spoke wood VDM wheel (the rarest wood wheel?). It only takes the deluxe horn ring. I have considered making or modifying something so I could use an A horn button.

Steve Gaddy
356 Fan

#26 Post by Steve Gaddy »

I used to collect original wood wheels and so I have had a lot of them over the years. Original Nardi, Les Leston, Derrrinton, Moto Lita, etc. I consider the steering wheel as the centerpiece of every 356. To me there is nothing that compares with the feel and look of an original Carrera wheel.
Attachments
concours11.jpg
concours11.jpg (710.52 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
Bali Blue (21).jpg
Bali Blue (21).jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 1177 times

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#27 Post by Mark Sabbann »

I like the original diameter and skinny rim of the later wheels, especially the 'sportier' look of the 'B' wheel spokes. So when I wanted a wood wheel for my 'C' coupe I found a 'B' wheel with nice spokes but rough bakelite. I replaced the bakelite with Minnesota black walnut following the tradition of Carrera wheels with nine sections of mitered wood. Inside the original bakelite is a 11mm diameter steel rod, welded to the spokes. I had to true/straighten the steel rod somewhat to make it work - inside the molded bakelite, it didn't need to be absolutely straight.
Attachments
132_3271.JPG
132_3271.JPG (955.68 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
132_3275.JPG
132_3275.JPG (916.65 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#28 Post by Mike Wilson »

Lockie: your question reminds of the one: "what color should I paint my car?" My answer usually is, "what do you want to see when you look at the car?" In this case, what steering wheel do you like? Go for it!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Lockie McKinnon
356 Fan

#29 Post by Lockie McKinnon »

Mike Wilson wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:08 pm Lockie: your question reminds of the one: "what color should I paint my car?" My answer usually is, "what do you want to see when you look at the car?" In this case, what steering wheel do you like? Go for it!

Mike
I agree.
The trouble was I like them both.
I was looking into some insight as to what other members thought.
I got some good comments which helped me understand the subtleties of each one.........
Not a big decision but fun to discuss and obviously others enjoyed sharing some great pictures and thoughts.
That what I like about this forum......
Lockie

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#30 Post by Mike Wilson »

My car came with the original black plastic VDM wheel with the leather Wheelskins cover but I always liked the look of a wood wheel. I had Jack Arct (R.I.P.) build me one and Bruce Crawford another. I favored the look and feel of the wood wheel with the chrome horn ring. Bruce's wheel is now on the car and Jack's has been passed on to a fellow 356 owner.

Sometimes, the exterior and interior colors of the car favor one wheel over another. My car is slate gray with black interior and the wood wheel really looks nice in contrast.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe