Porsche 356 Carrera Speedster Zagato

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Porsche 356 Carrera Speedster Zagato

#1 Post by Neil Bardsley »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVXlN1AG064&t=127s

Unfortunately no photo or shots of the engine bay. Seeing that they were built from A I'm guessing that they have 616 engines in? I was confused by his comment about a 1500 engine. I thought by 57/58 the 1600 4 cam has replaced the 1500?

https://www.coachbuild.com/2/index.php/ ... dster-1958

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

Re: Porsche 356 Carrera Speedster Zagato

#2 Post by Richard Emerson »

The original had a 4 cam. These replicas use a push rod engine.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#3 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Herb Wetanson had what appears to be the first of these a few years ago at the MHAR. The story was that he commissioned it, a repro of a much earlier Zagato. It looks like, having made Herb's, Zagato decided to make a few more. If so, having footed the re-development cost, I wonder what Herb thinks about that?
Last edited by Harlan Halsey on Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I had to google Herb, as I hadn't heard of them before, however I suspect he is driving one of his wonderful cars or sitting in a nice house not caring at all!

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Roth »

Better to call it the Storez speedster. The original was destroyed in a road accident not far from the factory. See Denis Jenkinson's book for photo (a pretzel). If I am not mistaken the 2nd one was actually the vehicle in which Storez met his death on a rally
Herb's is beautifully done with pushrod engine. Cannot post photos on my telephone, but I have plenty RR

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Richard Emerson »

There was one at bring a trailer auction a few months ago. I wasn’t impressed with it personally. And it’s just a replica but with a completely different motor, etc. What’s the point? I’d rather have a real 356.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#7 Post by Sean M Rooks »

The BaT car was supposedly the sixth car and they all seem a little different. I prefer the versions without the fins. The "replica" comments, while accurate, are a little misplaced. It's not a "kit car" as stated in the BaT auction. It's almost more of a continuation car like Jaguar's new D-types. I think Aston Martin was going to do a run of DB4s too. Perhaps a cash grab by the coachbuilder, but having an original, vintage Zagato design in a fiberglass replica is one thing. This checks all the boxes of being "real" to me. Real 356 chassis, real aluminum coachbuilt body by Zagato. Maybe the motor isn't a carrera - but those engines cost as much as the car itself and maybe should be kept for genuine cars.

I love it (without fins). There was one at the 2018 Werks Reunion and I took scores of photos.

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Richard Emerson »

The fins are part of the original design. I agree they look awkward to me from the rear.

The four cam is the soul of these, hence why it’s discouraging not to have. Maybe find one for $150,000 or use the Capricorn new ones.

When Shelby did a continuation he argued they weee unused Vin’s. How does one use that term here?

I just think the price is so high too. I wish they had done one or two correctly with the Carrera motor.

They are doing a coupe too - from an early drawing. Seems very nice looking but was never built in period.

For the money though, woukdn’t a speedster or roadster be better?

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#9 Post by Mark Reich »

Watching the video, I could help but think this is one beautiful car. Coachbulit body hand-hammered I aluminum. Original 356 chassis. Sounds like a terrific combination and I for one am glad that Zagato is making just a few to add to the variety of the cars. The use of a pushrod motor makes complete sense and while the name of the car is a bit off with the Carrera reference I like what they put together.

Did anyone notice how the headlight fairings don't quite match up to the bodywork? Truly hand-done, just like the original Abarth!

Mark
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#10 Post by Richard Emerson »

This one uses a 1961 Cab for its VIN and parts...

Pretty disappointing sound when you expect the snarl of the 4 cam!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961- ... briolet-2/

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#11 Post by Sean M Rooks »

The Polo motor would be a nice option for these.