Porsche, Mercedes Factory Tours?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve M Ross
356 Fan

Porsche, Mercedes Factory Tours?

#1 Post by Steve M Ross »

I'm going to have 4-5 days to myself in Germany this July and I plan on visiting the Porsche and Mercedes museums. Does Porsche offer tours to Registry or PCA members? Is there anyone in particular one needs to contact at the factory? I was wondering if anyone knew if a similar arrangement could be made at the Mercedes factory for MBCA members? Last, any hotel recommendations?
TIA
Best,
Steve Ross

Bob Forman
356 Fan

Re: Porsche, Mercedes Factory Tours?

#2 Post by Bob Forman »

Last time I was at the P museum you could get in free with your Registry or PCA membership card. The MB museum is much larger but does (did, 6 years ago) cost a little bit to get in but well worth it. Be careful, after the MB tour you get dropped out in a new-car showroom; very tempting to drop a few Euros on a new Benz. If you are staying in Stuttgart there was a local rail pass for two passengers for two days for 9 Euros. Great way to travel to both museums.
Bob Forman

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Steve, I was there last May. PM and I can send you a write-up I did for the TYP356NE newsletter.
~ Jeff
Last edited by Jeffrey Leeds on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#4 Post by Jim Liberty »

Both are well worth the time. MB also has an "Old Timer" restoration shop in Stuttgart. It is well worth a visit also. ……...Jim
Jim Liberty

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#5 Post by Edwin Ek »

I found the Porsche museum ever so slightly underwhelming. Probably because I had seen so many of the cars already at events here in the US.

On the other hand, the Mercedes-Benz museum was spectacular. I knew, but I had sort of forgotten, that Karl Benz invented the automobile. So the museum covered the whole history of automotive transportation. Plus I saw my all-time favorite car: the 300 SLR Uhlenhaut coupe.

But both are definitely worth visiting.

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#6 Post by Mark Reich »

It's really hard to compare the two. The MB museum presents a view of world history, good and bad, through the timeline of the birth and development of the automobile. It is vast, impressive, and informative. The Porsche Museum is quite a bit more intimate. It is a huge leap forward over their old museum, which was essentially a crowded room. You can get up close to the cars, many of which are fro our favorite era. As Edwin notes, many of them will be familiar from events. There is a gap in time at the Porsche museum - seems like history jumps in an opportune manner from the first VW to the first Porsche without any of that annoying wartime stuff to be bothered with. MB, in contrast, fully explores its role in a period Porsche seems to want to forget.

Both museums have great cafes and book stores. And yes, the 300 SLR Uhlenhaut coupe and the Silver Arrows are definite must sees at the MB museum.

Enjoy!

Mark
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue