Heating Sytem BT6

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

Heating Sytem BT6

#1 Post by Alexis Collaud »

Hi all,
I've received my 356 and I'm starting to sort out what's / what is missing
I will post some photo later, but right now I've a doubt about the heating system and potential missing parts

What I've found is :
IMG_2398.JPG
IMG_2398.JPG (400.55 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
IMG_2391.JPG
IMG_2391.JPG (337.32 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
IMG_2224.JPG
IMG_2224.JPG (359.95 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG (381.26 KiB) Viewed 1033 times

Do you agree that I need this (parts are missing then) :
missing.JPG
missing.JPG (269.69 KiB) Viewed 1033 times

do you have some image and/or diagram showing how all this is fitted ?

Thank you

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Heating Sytem BT6

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

The 4th image is the oil filler/case breather; nothing to do with the heating system. What you have looks fairly complete, but you are going to need some drawings.
You can go here: https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessories ... catalogue/
But I'd suggest getting repro parts and shop manuals.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alexis Collaud »

Hi ron,
thanks, it's because I'm confused with the other system (much more expensive ...)
heat_exchangers_NEW.jpg
heat_exchangers_NEW.jpg (288.92 KiB) Viewed 1012 times

and the Oil filler seems to be somehow also involved :
The "356-B" Flip-top Oil Filler Can v. the "356-C" Oil Filler Can => here : http://derwhites356literature.com/LittleKnownFacts.html

Anyhow I will need to look after those parts part, just to be sure.
If someone has some diagrams about all these parts are placed / connected / activated let me know

thank you

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dick Weiss »

What is not shown:

A second heat control valve w/the connecting linkage parts(?), a second heater box/J-tube(?), you show the lower vertical heat riser tubes for the carb preheat, but not the upper snouts above them (aimed A the carbs)? Also the rear pan/cover over the muffler w/connecting hardware, crossbar, and the thermostat (hidden behind the fan shroud?)
Finally, the 50mm black paper heater hoses between the J-pipe snouts and the control valves on the longitudinal tube entrys.

I suggest a parts book, or better (@ less cost), a Stoddard catalog; It'll show all the parts needed.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

This owners picture album is a C but shows most of heater system where it should be: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N ... 3749/show/ The parts book for your model would be a big help.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Richard Starfield
356 Fan

#6 Post by Richard Starfield »

I am having trouble turning off the heat on my recently restored BT6. The heat still comes up over the dash and in 90+ degree weather its not pleasant. Any suggestions?

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#7 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Easy solution...remove the flexible heater hoses during warm weather. Now no warm air will enter the cabin. When I used my 356s year round, I would only attach the heater hoses in the late autumn through early spring, after that, I removed them. If you are a concour type owner, you can keep the hoses in place for cosmetic reasons but fill the insides with some material to block the passage of heated air. You can take several layers of tin foil and close off the 'snouts' on the J tubes and also the openings of the heater cans. Now when you place the hoses over these orifices, the blocking won't be visible.
Your problem is most likely the forward mounted heater cans not sealing. When the flapper boxes on the engine are closed the flaps on the cans open and vice versa. Check and see if the cans are synchronized with the flappers. The cans also originally had a bit of flexible material to provide a tight seal when in the closed position.

Richard Starfield
356 Fan

#8 Post by Richard Starfield »

Geoff - this is really helpful, thank you! I thought the heat would stop when the back flaps are open, but that's not the case. The car is a concour type, but I will remove the hoses for the warm weather.