wheel dollies

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
George Hussey
356 Fan

wheel dollies

#1 Post by George Hussey »

I need more room for storage and always thought that if I could use a good wheel dolly that I could maneuver the cars much better. However I was worried that they would not roll on the carpet. The ones I bought have extra heavy duty bearings in them so take very little to get the ball rolling (so to speak!). Great purchase, I am in the process of putting them under all of my 356s.
INT__DSC7797.jpg
INT__DSC7797.jpg (286.79 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
George Hussey

Richard Holler
356 Fan
Tag: 1963 356 S T6 coupe

Re: wheel dollies

#2 Post by Richard Holler »

very nice, which ones did you go with?
1963 356 S T6 Karmann Coupe (stock engine)
Front disc brake conversion
GDP Dual Exhaust
Momo Classic steering wheel
SMD headlights
CUlayer LED rear tails
Superleicht spec (aka missing V brace and copious amounts of Bondo)

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

A friend bought the $10 moving dollies from harbor freight. Not exactly wheel dollies but they work well on a concrete floor on my friends 911. The tires are so old they will need replacing anyway so no worries about flat spotting. They are supposedly rated at 1000 # each so should take the weight of a 911.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

We used these all the time at the old shop because of where the door was. We had to spin every car to get it in the main shop, it was weird. But we became afficinados on wheel dollies. I found the best were the one that had a bar on the side, that way if you did hit a bump it held the wheel better. The red ones like George has here had a tendency to pop out and sometimes shoot out with force. They cost a little more, but it was worth it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-v ... SAEALw_wcB
Attachments
dollyhf.jpg
dollyhf.jpg (87.56 KiB) Viewed 987 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Another option in terms of wheel dollies are the pump up kind, so you don't have to jack the car. They are also more pricey but work really well. Repo men like them, as do crazy guys like me who have to get cars in the back of a U-Haul, this was a couple of days ago in FL.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lbs- ... 97EALw_wcB
Attachments
pumpfl.jpg
pumpfl.jpg (139.89 KiB) Viewed 964 times
dollypump.jpg
dollypump.jpg (106.48 KiB) Viewed 964 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ronald Sieber »

In regards to the pump-up kind, I have found that the mechanical examples found at Harbor Freight like what Adam showed work better than the hydraulic ones from Summit. And, they cost less!
=rds

George Hussey
356 Fan

#7 Post by George Hussey »

Merrick machine were the ones, I have tried a bunch of them, and as previously stated, many work fine on concrete, but put them on carpet and forget it! I also did not want to use the pump up type as they were much more expensive and I did not need to take my cars on and off that frequently to warrant the extra cost. We have the cheap ones in our shop and they are good enough, but at home, again, wanted to use a brand that would easily roll on the indoor outdoor carpet commercial grade I have in my display area. These work!
George Hussey

Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

#8 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

George, did you paint the dollies to match your car color. I'll be down in Atlanta in a couple of months and will stop by as usual. I would like to see your cars sometime.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ron LaDow »

When I was working with a resto/vintage-race shop at Sears Point lo, these many years ago, they got what was probably the first run of the 'jack-up' units. Most of the cars were sports-racers, very light. And the floors were sealed concrete.
And once one of the cars started moving, you'd better make sure you or someone else stopped it before it came to grief.
By now I figured they were offered with brakes, but I don't see any on the ones shown.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bill Lawless »

Adam Wright wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 pm Another option in terms of wheel dollies are the pump up kind, so you don't have to jack the car. They are also more pricey but work really well. Repo men like them, as do crazy guys like me who have to get cars in the back of a U-Haul, this was a couple of days ago in FL.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lbs- ... 97EALw_wcB
A nice way to move these puppies:
Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 8.09.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 8.09.03 AM.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 783 times
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

George Hussey
356 Fan

#11 Post by George Hussey »

Leo Dreisilker wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:29 pm George, did you paint the dollies to match your car color. I'll be down in Atlanta in a couple of months and will stop by as usual. I would like to see your cars sometime.
No Leo, they came powder painted red.
George Hussey

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#12 Post by Norm Miller »

Ron,

Unintended acceleration.
sic. Audi