VW Split Case Ring & Pinion

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Glen Getchell
356 Fan

VW Split Case Ring & Pinion

#1 Post by Glen Getchell »

I am sure somewhere some place this has been addressed. I have researched common VW / 356 parts and these parts are not listed that I can find. But before I heave this sucker into the nether regions of my attic only to be found by the next home owner, I would like to double check. Is the ring and pinion from an early VW type 1 split case transmission the same as a 356?

I've already got the axles and diff parts boxed and ready to be used if ever needed. To bad they used 6 bolt carriers :(

Glen 64Cx2
P.S. Oh yea. Is the splash shield the same too?

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

Re: VW Split Case Ring & Pinion

#2 Post by Jon Bunin »

Glen Getchell wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:30 pmIs the ring and pinion from an early VW type 1 split case transmission the same as a 356?
Glen, the pinion shafts are machined for Volkswagen parts, and cannot be used with Porsche parts.
Jon Bunin

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Splash shield is the same. They used a 6-bolt carrier, which is what Porsche did until the C models.

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Glen Getchell »

Oh, one more item to see if it's the same. Axle cover bearings? The 356 bearings are in the cover, and VW split case are in the case halves.

I can't even find these bearings listed in catalogs to try to cross reference. I don't know if these bearings ever go bad, but I'll press them out and save them if they are the same. Thanks!
Glen 64Cx2

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Glen
VW used 2 6210 bearings Porsche replaced one of the 6210 bearings with a thrust bearing of the same dimensions 7210B
j

Al Zim
356 Fan

#6 Post by Al Zim »

Reverse gear is located on the outside of the Porsche synchronized transmissions 519/644/718/and 741toward the front of the car. The VW used a straight cut gear on first and the reverse was next to first gear but I do not remember if it was in front or behind first gear. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Glen Getchell »

Ok, I think I got lost or am misunderstanding or am unsure we are referring to the same part now that the original questions were answered.

Based on previous responses, I know I can chuck the ring and pinion. Now I am wondering about the 2 big bearings where the axles come out. On (at least later 356's) they are pressed into the removable axle tube covers that are bolted on the side of the diff / tranny. There are two (one on each side) where the axles come out of the transaxle (I am not talking about the bearings in the axle tubes, but the ones in the side covers on the tranny). On the VW split case transmission these "side covers" are part of the case and are not removable. The bearings are pressed into the case halves.

Again, this may have been answered, but not to my some what pathetic level of comprehension (maybe if I drink more? I'm willing to try). These bearings obviously do the same job, but this does not mean they are the same. It looks like a bear (ha, a pun. Bear to get the bearing out) to get them out of the VW case, and don't want to waste my time if they are not the same as the 356. And currently a 356 tranny is about the only 356 drive train part I do not have blown up in my garage to compare parts against (SOB, I just realized I have 3 broken engines in my garage, but I digress). Given enough time I am sure that with great disapointment I can have one available for inspection, but at the current speed of the machine shop on my current blown up engine parts (at least the one I am trying to fix), I may not have the opportunity to blow up another tranny this decade. So hopefully some one can confirm.

So the basic question. Is the axle bearings in the sides of the VW split cast tranny the same as those in the removable axle covers on a 356 741?

Thanks!
Glen 64Cx2

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jon Bunin »

Glen Getchell wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:53 amSo the basic question. Is the axle bearings in the sides of the VW split cast tranny the same as those in the removable axle covers on a 356 741?
Jacques gave you the correct answer to your question.
Jon Bunin

Al Zim
356 Fan

#9 Post by Al Zim »

Do not waste your time with used bearings. These bearings can be purchased for a very nominal price from a bearing supply house locally. the only parts that are valuable are the differential carrier and the axle tubes. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Al
the bearings are not all that common as they were in the 1950s-60s. your local bearing house may not be able to source the exact ones used in the 356 transmissions Zim's, the usual sources and Vic can get them.
j