Leaky fuel pump union.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

Leaky fuel pump union.

#1 Post by Mike Ruddy »

My car's a '59 T2 and I have an intermittent fuel leak from my fuel pump. Whenever It happens, which is every coupe of months or so, I tighten the union and all is usually well for a while but I'm hoping for more of a permanent solution.

Here the union partially undone, the 17mm fitting has a red fibre washer and the 14mm pipe fitting doesn't have any seal at all.

Is this correct ?

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Leaky fuel pump union.

#2 Post by C J Murray »

It is not normal for those joints to loosen. The fitting gets a good snug and then the compression nut on the line gets a more energetic tightening while holding the fitting with a wrench to avoid over tightening the fitting into the aluminum pump. Once the compression nut is firmly tightened the fitting and the compression joint can not move. Your can put some sealer on the threads of the fitting but the fiber washer is normally all that is needed.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#3 Post by Mike Ruddy »

Thanks CJ, taking it to pieces has helped me see how the union works, I am cautious about over tightening but all the parts seem to be there according to PET so I'll nip up the fitting and tighten the compression fitting as you say and see how we get on. Thanks.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Mike, sometimes you run out of thread on the nut (item 40) because the compression fitting has been compressed beyond it's capabilities so the only option is a new compression collet and a slightly shorter fuel line after you cut it off.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

I never needed a new collet. Is it easily available?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

Stoddard, though as I remember I used a brass collet for an American 5/16' fuel line compression fitting.
https://www.stoddard.com/539-08-206.html
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

C J Murray
356 Fan

#7 Post by C J Murray »

Compression sleeves also come in different lengths to fit different length compression nuts or different length male threads that result in differing amounts of space for the sleeve. If you install a short sleeve where a longer sleeve is needed the sleeve may not be clamped sufficiently to seal the joint before the nut bottoms out. To test for this condition tighten the compression nut and see if you can rotate the pipe. You should not be able to move the pipe in the compression joint. In the US, hardware stores and some auto parts stores sell compression unions and parts. Take the pipe to the store to see if the sleeve fits your pipe.

Usually when the sleeve is a problem the joint will leak always and not loosen up in use.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion