Porsche crest enamel sign

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: Porsche crest enamel sign

#16 Post by Dick Weiss »

Robert,

Please Email me your address for my Email return to you of my Porsche crest/plaque showing front, back, and the certificate.

Dick

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jules Dielen »

Robert Braunsberger wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:29 am At the time our cars were originally built and even up to 1993, the country was actually known as Czechoslovakia and not Czech Republic, so I doubt the plaque Dick refers to is from that period. Nevertheless, curious to see pictures of it.
The sign described at the beginning of this thread is actually in the posession of a good friend of mine, he is not a Porsche guy. I will make him an offer and am trying to find out what's a fair and reasonable value, pending on its authenticity.

I have g**gled a bit and found two references showing a similar sign, one in a scaringly equal condition with very similar wear (suggesting remake?) and the other one in almost new condition with very attractive description. See below.

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/189 ... ute-rarity
https://www.thesamba.com/vw//forum/albu ... _id=595172

Any comments?
You make a very good point. after re-reading Dick's comments his sign must have been made after 1993. Also, Porsche AG did not exist until 1972, so it can't be 356 related.
Last edited by Jules Dielen on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#18 Post by John Hearn »

Most of the Porsche limited edition signs sold through the dealer network or the factory museum are made in what is now the Czech Republic.
They still have the men and machinery to make these traditional enamel signs.
Be careful that the "rust" is not somebody trying to pass off a sign as "Original".
As always, buyer beware.
KTF
John
Last edited by John Hearn on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#19 Post by Bruce Smith »

I remember the signs Dick has described. Jules guess of 1993 or later seems about right. They seemed pricey at the time but not by today's standards. Maybe a few hundred bucks. Can you post a photo, Dick?
Bruce Smith

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dick Weiss »

Robert,

I see there are several different sizes of the crest plaques and their mis-matched colors and designs, but I'll keep mine as its uniformity is much nicer than the one that started all the conversations.
For some reason, I can't show the photos of what I have, so send me your email address so I can forward my photos to you.

Dick

Robert Braunsberger
356 Fan

#21 Post by Robert Braunsberger »

@Dick: I tried to send you an email but it seems there is no email address linked in your profile. In other words, the box titled "contact Dick Weiss" is empty when I look you up in the members list. Is there another way to do this?

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#22 Post by Dick Weiss »

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#23 Post by Dick Weiss »

Anyone's Email address sent?
I have to forward photos from my Email address.

Dick

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#24 Post by Curt Dansby »

Here are the photos of Dick's sign.
Attachments
Crest3.jpg
Crest3.jpg (4.21 MiB) Viewed 2367 times
Crest2.jpg
Crest2.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 2367 times
Crest1.jpg
Crest1.jpg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 2367 times

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#25 Post by Martin Benade »

Having a certificate on that reminds me of the schlocky”art” store my friend worked at. All the $50 paintings came with a certificate that said Certified Aaron Brothers Art Work. They defined it as art in case you weren’t already aware.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#26 Post by Jules Dielen »

that is a pretty modern sign. looks like it was made in 2001. cool tho.
Jules

Robert Braunsberger
356 Fan

#27 Post by Robert Braunsberger »

Hi all,

I have continued my investigation on the sign I had originally posted. One of the valuable inputs I got came from Tony Singer at vintageautoposters.com. Tony was familiar with this particular sign and suggested that these were used by the factory to be mounted on their delivery trucks. Whilst this is a very interesting theory, I find the idea of putting a (quite heavy) metal enamel sign on a truck rather than a sticker or painting quite strage. Does anybody have any inputs on this and/or any pictures with delivery trucks of the 356 era?

Thanks!
Robert

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#28 Post by Jules Dielen »

here is one from the early 1960s
Attachments
356 transporter.jpg
356 transporter.jpg (207.63 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
Jules

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#29 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Robert Braunsberger wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:56 amDoes anybody have any inputs on this and/or any pictures with delivery trucks of the 356 era?

Thanks!
Robert
Having spent 22+ years in the dealership world I would highly doubt that Porsche owned the trucks that delivered their cars to the dealers and distributors. It makes no sense since the trucks and drivers would just sit when no Porsches needed to be delivered. Independent companies here in the US Like Cassens and R&L deliver cars for all the manufactures and they barely make any money so I cannot imaging it was the case back then.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#30 Post by Adam Wright »

Robert Braunsberger wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:56 am Hi all,

I have continued my investigation on the sign I had originally posted. One of the valuable inputs I got came from Tony Singer at vintageautoposters.com. Tony was familiar with this particular sign and suggested that these were used by the factory to be mounted on their delivery trucks. Whilst this is a very interesting theory, I find the idea of putting a (quite heavy) metal enamel sign on a truck rather than a sticker or painting quite strage. Does anybody have any inputs on this and/or any pictures with delivery trucks of the 356 era?

Thanks!
Robert
This shot was taken at the Factory in 1960, we used it on the top of our poster, thanks to Norm Robinson for bringing his camera,
Attachments
posterproofnew.jpg
posterproofnew.jpg (572.09 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.