How to get laps on Laguna Seca track?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

How to get laps on Laguna Seca track?

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hello all,
Is there such a scenerio in 2019 where an enthusiast like me can join another like group of people to be able to get a few hot laps on Laguna Seca track without breaking the bank? Let alone the car lol.
Any suggestions is appreciated.
Steve
Carrying the Porsche torch since birth🏁

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

Re: How to get laps on Laguna Seca track?

#2 Post by Don Gale »

That would be awesome! Check this link:

https://www.hookedondriving.com/moreinf ... ct_id=2476
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

It does sound great but, one tech requirement is that the car must have a functional head restraint system. At best, our 356's have head rests. That may exclude a 356.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

No track is going to let you drive your 356 at speed but vintage racing events often offer parade laps while the track is not being used by the race cars.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

We were allowed to do parade laps at Laguna Seca at the Rennsport Reunion. Fun even if we had to limit our speed.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Douglas »

Steve no that you are living really close to Laguna Seca, see about volunteering at the track, there are lots of events beside races. They need all kinds of help, and sometimes during a "work day" a few laps have been added as a perk. Also join the Pebble Beach Sports Car Club, monthly meeting in your town, and they do have some private events at the track too. The Cars and Coffee morning at the track might lead to some one might know someone who has access. It all has to be unofficial and without knowledge of the legal department. Laguna Seca is way busy, more so than the other tracks in California, I have been able to drive Sears Point and Thunderhill without any pace car or special inspections, but that is very rare. Good Luck.

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Raucher »

Yes thanks all for chiming in.
Doing pace laps behind others is fun but not what I am looking for.
At Sonoma have been able to get on it for a few laps a lot of fun.
Will look into your suggestions Steve.
I thought I could find a club or others and have some fun within limits in a casual non official way we will see.
Regards,
Steve

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#8 Post by Erik Thomas »

Steve:

With the VSCCA on the East Coast, We have a "preservation" class where I run my more or less stock 356 coupe occasionally. This group allows passing on the straights only, but no other limitations. Car prep requirements are: 3" lap belts, Fire Extinguisher, Battery cut off switch, 1 quart catch tank. If you are a member of a Vintage Motorsports council club, and have experience with that club, you can enter a VSCCA event at Lime Rock, or Thompson, or some other tracks we run. Not exactly in your back yard, but perhaps a good "road trip" .

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ron LaDow »

steve raucher wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:19 pm At Sonoma have been able to get on it for a few laps a lot of fun.
Pretty doubtful that was 'permitted'; care to tell us how you got a chance to run absent payment for a test day or a lead car?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#10 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Steve,
There are lots of ways to run the local tracks. Try the Lotus Club or Hooked on Driving for example. Or the local PCA.
Harlan

C J Murray
356 Fan

#11 Post by C J Murray »

Anybody that gets to do hot laps in an ancient street car without safety equipment and without a competition license and without having paid to participate in an event organized and controlled by a responsible organization with substantial liability insurance is doing so against the will of the track owners.

Imagine some incompetent idiot buys an old Porsche and starts ripping around the track and kills or disables himself and/or others. The lawyers will milk that for all it's worth and that could be an extreme financial hit to the track owners. Insurance is fine but there are responsibilities that the insured has like keeping high risk activities off of the property.

Where is the incentive for any track or any organization to let you go flat out on the track?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#12 Post by Steve Raucher »

To answer Ron’s query; during lunch break at Spring Vintage races a few years ago, Jag F type cars were doing hot laps with interested buyers, PCA was there and we fell in place and had several laps boogieing some quicker then others.
I went back last spring in hopes of same but alais there was a Jag F type as pace car going like 55mph which was no fun,
Although safety is always a concern, I think it is a drag that I likely need a roll bar, 5 point seatbelts etc just to tool around at 90-100mph with no intention of damaging my car or anyone elses.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

It's all about the liability.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ron LaDow »

steve raucher wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:59 pm "...Although safety is always a concern, I think it is a drag that I likely need a roll bar, 5 point seatbelts etc just to tool around at 90-100mph with no intention of damaging my car or anyone elses.
Years ago, I made a fool of myself all over Marin and Sonoma county back roads in the Speedster(s) and various 2-stroke Yamahas, all on roads which at that time were not highly trafficked. The only one injured at the time was a motorcyclist who crossed over into my lane; fortunately a tight turn, so only a broken bone. He sued anyhow; he lost.
You can't do that anymore; the bicyclists leave stains on the front of the car when they decide to take that lane, and you WILL be blamed.
The tracks operate under similar restrictions; your intent not to cause harm means nothing. If harm occurs, the track (and perhaps you, if the lawyer sees a chance at recovery) will be sued. You can kiss your Dad's Speedster goodby.
By doing what you did, you put a lot of people at risk of financial and, perhaps personal injury; getting an unsorted 356 to spin is not at all difficult, especially at 90MPH, and the car following you, even if they miss you, is quite possibly going to suffer damage.
Did you announce to all of the track participants that you were to join them, and also that you were liable for any harm you might cause? I hope so.
Added by edit: Vintage test sessions at Sears required payment for the medical folks; two groups, in case the first one had to take a patient to the hospital. If you free-rode on my payments I'd be upset.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#15 Post by Harlan Halsey »

As a boy I sometimes snuck on to golf courses with friends and hit a few balls. Sneaking on to a race track without permission and proper car preparation is a very different thing. As I said above, there are many was to run the local tracks, all day for a minimal expenditure. I do agree that running a track is a liberating experience and doing it legally is even more so. I suggest you change your approach and begin researching the many existing opportunities-after getting your car prepared.