How to get laps on Laguna Seca track?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

Re: How to get laps on Laguna Seca track?

#16 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Steve,
PCA's, Golden Gate Region or maybe it's their Zone 7, does Driver's Education / Time Trial events at Laguna, Sears and Thunderhill ALMOST every year.
I've done both tracks in my 356A but to be honest, it's been a while.
Check our the GGR website for event schedules, rules and reg's.
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#17 Post by Martin Benade »

I am pretty sure Steve was more wishing out loud than beginning a well-thought-out crime. Ron’s comments were a little harsh but all true considerations.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Arthur Conner
356 Fan

#18 Post by Arthur Conner »

Steve, may I suggest you buy or rent a prepared race car and run at a sanctioned event? We run with CSRG, with the 356 and the Devin D Porsche a couple of times a year and at Laguna about the same. It might not be that hard to prepare or have prepared your speedster to run with a Vintage Group and with 3 great tracks near you, you're bound to have loads of fun!
Various rides, mostly old

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#19 Post by Ron LaDow »

Martin Benade wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:31 pm I am pretty sure Steve was more wishing out loud than beginning a well-thought-out crime. Ron’s comments were a little harsh but all true considerations.
I do apologize; my comments were beyond what was warranted.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#20 Post by Erik Thomas »

I have heard stories about long ago sneak in through the open gate "track touring" at both Watkins Glenn and Bridgehampton. Damn the good old days in America were not just great, they were FANTASTIC. Kill all the lawyers. Last summer, I was at a track in New Hampshire and was permitted to do track touring in the Volvo station wagon tow car. Did like 5 laps and kept going a bit faster each time, working up to a decent speed that though very quiet and stealth in the Volvo. Learned a lot about the track. I was way ahead of my competitors for the first session. In the old days we used to walk or bicycle Lime Rock, to get a better up close knowledge of the track.

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#21 Post by Michael Foster »

At the 98 Registry or was it Porsche 356 Club event in Monterey the weekend before the vintage races the club arranged for the members to line up and tour around the track at good speed. Nobody got crazy it might have even been no passing but it was fun cause nobody wanted to be passed! My son now 40 plus got to drive roadster around too and I someone took a photo that was used to sell insurance as it showed us from behind topping a hill.
Also if you want you can join CSRG racing in northern California they used to offer a weekend driver training class. (for a fee) I did this once, in their formula car. Got one side of wheels off on upper straight and tried to get back on too fast and spun out. Also spun out on lower straight with kink when I found myself quickly overtaking a car that for some reason was putting around very slow. Ran out of room to pass and had to touch brake so I wouldn't tap the car in front and spun out. Hit brake hard in spinout and didn't go anywhere but it was exciting, fun and scary at same time.

Michael Foster
MICHAEL FOSTER

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#22 Post by Steve Raucher »

Any opinions on weather the value of a 356 is affected by the installation of a roll bar? Likely nominal I guess. Hate having to drill into original chassis, nice carpet etc.
Steve

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#23 Post by Spencer Harris »

Good story & some great photos by Victor Varela in a link from today's Sports Car Digest email covering the HMSA event at Laguna Seca last month!

https://www.sportscardigest.com/hmsa-sp ... EQ1iL8s.C0
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#24 Post by Edwin Ek »

What are the requirements for driving at the Nürburgring? Most cars seem like they are garden-variety, not prepared in any way.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#25 Post by C J Murray »

Edwin Ek wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:11 pm What are the requirements for driving at the Nürburgring? Most cars seem like they are garden-variety, not prepared in any way.
I don't know but I suspect that they have insurance and lots of it. They charge money so it is a business. I don't know if the state runs that or it is a privately owned business with a lease for the property? What are the German liability laws? Maybe a signed release form is actually enforceable unlike our country?

Do they even have "attractive nuisances" in Germany? Our lawyers have a million ways to skin a cat.

The old movies of street cars crashing at the Ring are really scary, and entertaining.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Ed Pimm
356 Fan

#26 Post by Ed Pimm »

Edwin,
I was traveling in Europe recently via rental car(Peugeot 4 cyl 4 dr turbo diesel). We stopped in Nurburg to check out the castle and have lunch. Afterwards we drove to the South Course(Current F1 circuit) to have a look. We heard cars on the track and went to ticket area. I was told I could drive the track with my rental car for approx. 20 euros a lap. I only had to show a drivers license. I bought 5 laps and proceeded to the pits. I was told to get in a line which included some outright race cars along with street cars. We waited while motorcycles were on the track. After about 15 minutes we were let out on the track with no limits. The only things the officials told us were if you crashed you were responsible for the damage to the track plus the down time and lost revenue while the track was being repaired. Getting on the North Course(original 14 mile F1 track) is more difficult as the hours of operation are much more limited.

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#27 Post by John Hearn »

The Nordschleife (north loop) is considered as a one way toll road with normal German traffic laws applying.
As stated you are responsible for and damage cause by you if you have an accident.
Check out the link below:-
https://www.nuerburgring.de/en/fans-inf ... leife.html
Should be on every Porsche drivers "Bucket list", but be careful don't let the "red mist" take over.
Have driven it with a VW Golf, VW Camper, '59 A Coupe, '86 Carrera 3.2.......
Remember be careful out there.
KTF
John

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#28 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi guys,
I have decided t buy a nice roll bar from our club member, bar had been in Robert Kirby's Speedster at the end of his life. Reluctantly will drill holes into back chassis into rear floor and the support bars into the hips near wheel wells. Car has really nice carpet etc in interior.My question is about the mounting not on floors in back, but would I be better off mounting support bars off to the sides right over the carpet or should I cut out the small square section of carpet where bar will bolt to rear sides? Keep the swatch of carpet to plug back in place when bar is removed? If carpet is left in place it will get stained and crushed and look lousy.
I know Auto's can supply me with the two new matching pieces if needed.
Will get shoulder harness to mount to roll bar as well.
Best regards,
Steve
Attachments
Roll bar 3.jpg
Roll bar 3.jpg (41.14 KiB) Viewed 948 times
rollbar2.jpg
rollbar2.jpg (132.45 KiB) Viewed 948 times

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#29 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Why don't you just copy the Porsche Carrera roll bar?

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#30 Post by Michael Foster »

Steve:

That roll bar will require substantial and irreversible modifications to mount in your speedster chassis, interior carpeting and your folding top may not fit or allow top to go up or down after installation.

I don’t recommend a roll bar for street as they are dangerous and can be lethal to you or passenger if a head hits roll bar without helmet!

If I had to have roll bar I would contact Bob Kann at GT werks (http://www.gtwerk.com/) for his reproduction factory roll bar with his hardware kit for installation. This would allow you to remove the main portion of the roll bar leaving factory type mounts which are minimally invasive as compared to aftermarket roll bar mounts by removing two bolts and 2 pins. I believe your top would still work but check with Bob. He can also provide contacts for professional installation. Bob might be able to advise if roll bar is sufficient for a particular sanctioning group i.e VARA OR CSRG ETC.

Michael Foster
MICHAEL FOSTER