How to get laps on Laguna Seca track?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Re: How to get laps on Laguna Seca track?

#31 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi,
Tried to find mounting pics of Carrera Speedster roll bar. If back then it was a simple loop bar mounted to the rear floors only, then that will not be enough.
Anyway bar I am looking at is very stout and is bolt in type with about 6" space from back of head. It is a concern of mine about getting rear ended. Also the bar will allow me to have my soft or hardtop up it will clear under tops. Trying to get confirmation with PCA if bolt in type bar will pass tech, anyone know for sure?
I do not see the substantial and irreversible work needed to mount it. Maybe can utilize lap belt hole or holes behind seats. Then just drill four holes per side for rear bars. Rear wheels need to come off initially. Then with back of car jacked up I may be able to loosen bolts to remove. The challenge will be tightening them properly. May be a two person job.
Would be nice to have the quick release portions of the bar that is a given.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#32 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Steve, despite Michael's confusion over roll bar mounting, his suggestion to contact Bob Kahn is a good one. The "factory" GT bar Bob offers is what the factory put in Carreras. If you want to see a slightly different take on the main bar mounting, come over to my house some time and I'll show you the bar in my GT Carrera, copied from a Carrera Speedster bar long before Bob Kahn went into business. (Of course they don't mount to the floor.)

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#33 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi all,
Harlan, I talked with Bob Kahn and he was helpful and sent photo's etc. Part of me wants to put in the correct bar although my car is not a Carrera. I like his bar in that it can be dismantled from within the interior. However his quoted price for install is quite steep more welding of extra plates etc. My investment just doubled ouch. Have put Ex Robert Kirby bar on hold for now. Need to do more diligence.
Does anyone know if Bob's bar is universal in 356 A.B.C? Reason I ask, is maybe, unlikely I can find a pre owned one but need to know it will fit in my late A Speedster.
Anyone in the welding field care to venture a guess on install price quote in general? Anyone know a welder in the Monterey, CA area that knows our cars and this GT bar?
Thank you,
Steve