Recommend twisty bit roads Monterey, CA.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Recommend twisty bit roads Monterey, CA.

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi all,
Really miss the old mountain drives in SF Bay area.
Any good suggestions in and around Monterey, CA?
I like the spirited drives on slightly tighter curvy roads usually on or near mountains.
Thank you in advance.
Steve
Attachments
F8BD99E9-E24C-4DC4-82C6-5C4495D1FD73.jpeg
F8BD99E9-E24C-4DC4-82C6-5C4495D1FD73.jpeg (4.49 MiB) Viewed 623 times
8FC70461-C1A7-47FC-B41B-11218259B909.jpeg
8FC70461-C1A7-47FC-B41B-11218259B909.jpeg (3.98 MiB) Viewed 623 times

mark bibler
356 Fan

Re: Recommend twisty bit roads Monterey, CA.

#2 Post by mark bibler »

Steve. The drive up Carmel Valley would be my choice with that beauty. You can go for miles on twisty 2 lane country road to
Greenfield, or turn off earlier onto Cachagua road and loop back onto Carmel Valley Road. There’s a nice little restaurant about half way up
Cachagua. It’s cool. Mark

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Douglas »

Steve, there are a few, as Mark mentioned Carmel Valley Rd out east to the Salinas Valley, from there Arroyo Seca to River Rd and back to Monterey on #68. Highway #1 to Big Sur and McWay Falls and back is a nice easy drive. Nepenthe, Big Sur Bakery, and Partington Cove.
From Moss Landing east on Castroville Rd to Elkhorn Rd. then north to Watsonville, several good back roads out there in the Royal Oaks / Aromas area. Highway 152 from Watsonville to Gilroy, aka. Hecker Pass is great in the middle of a weekday, weekends and commute time not so much fun.
For whole day drive: Take #1 east to #156 to 101, then north on 101, exit Highway 156 Heading for Hollister, (stop at San Juan Bautista for Mexican food and visit the Mission) Right at Union Rd. (by the way, the 3rd Saturday 356 breakfasts 8:30am is right there at the San Juan Oaks GC. back east Union Rd then south on #25 / Airline Highway, to Bitterwater Rd, to King City and then north on Metz-King City Rd to Soledad and 101. 101 north to Gonzalos exit then left on Gonzolas River Rd. To River Rd. and then north on River to #68 and home.
Santa Cruz has a multitude of good roads and it 30-45 minutes away. Destinations Gizdich Ranch, Corrolitos Market, Every Saturday in Soquel cars and coffee, 41st Ave and Soquel Dr, 7:30 to 9am. Download http://www.countrycrossroadsmap.com for a guide to the farms and ranches that are open, get some good food too.
Hope to see you along the way., Steve

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#4 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

In september I drove from Laguna Seca to the Carmel Valley Community Center for the 356 Reunion, the road to get there was twisty and fun to drive even with a rented SUV. If all the roads that Mark and Steve are recommending are the same as the Laureles Grade you will have fun.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jon Schmid »

X2 on the 152 over Hecker Pass. We made that run many a time taking my daughter to/from UC Santa Cruz. Alas, never in the 356's.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Brooks »

I missed the Carmel Valley Community Center going the 356 Reunion in my KIA rental. The GPS recalculated, took me a couple miles through town, then said turn right. Then up a pretty crooked 2 lane mountain side for about 6-8 more miles, before the next road, then another right into be best 1-1/2 lane road I have ever driven in the USA. Road too narrow turn around on.

It went up past a sate park entrance, a lake and on up over the mountain to a monastery. No stripes on the road, 10-12' trees growing up from the asphalt edges, blind corners, switchbacks that you could reach out and touch the road up going the other way out of the turn. I do not remember the name of the road but it was exciting. 20-45 MPH max for 10 miles, the longest straight might have been 400 ft, wheel lock to lock turns, elevation changes in the 180 degree turns. Looked like some one had paved a cow path in the mountain side. The way back to the reunion was even better, since it knew the hard turns and could get up for them. you could smell the brakes when I got to the Reunion.

I spoke to some Bay area R Groupe guys later that day at Rennsoprt. They knew of the road and had driven it in mass a couple times. You might contact the R Groupe and see when their next weekend day drive is and try to follow them.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965