1959 356 convertible D HELP ME

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Elaine Mello
356 Fan

1959 356 convertible D HELP ME

#1 Post by Elaine Mello »

:D Hi from Wilmington NC. My name is Elaine and I own an upholstery shop and embroidery business. I have a client that brought me a freshly painted and stripped 59 356A convertible D. They also gave me a box of material from Stoddard that some pieces make sense and others not so much. Stoddard cannot help me with photos or instructions as to where their pieces go. Kinda weird to me, but they suggested I come here and ask for your help.

I need to see how the cowl material(s) attach to the car. How the dash material attaches as well. I figured out the eyebrow with no issue and the tops of the door panels and the front dash pieces.

How does the material attach (I am assuming glue) to the areas just behind the door closure area -- to the side of the seat. I am "assuming" some type of sponge welt goes there as well?? email is coolcargirl55@gmail.com

Any photos that can give me a visual is appreciated! OR if there is a website or build manual that can give me data? email is coolcargirl55@gmail.com

Thanks for any and all information you can provide.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: 1959 356 convertible D HELP ME

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Hopefully Conv D owners will reply. I will send you contact info I have for John Chatley who runs the Conv D Registry.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#3 Post by Jim Liberty »

It is totally unfair for the owner to ask you to do this installation. These cars need an installer that is totally familiar with this work. My advice to you is to give the car and interior back to him...……………………………………………..Jim.
Jim Liberty

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

Elaine Mello wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:56 pm :D Hi from Wilmington NC. My name is Elaine and I own an upholstery shop and embroidery business. [...] Kinda weird to me, but they suggested I come here and ask for your help.
First, welcome.
It's not as surprising as it seems; there are a LOT of very knowledgeable folks here, and the signal/noise ratio is about as good as you'll find on the web. I know zero regarding upholstery, but there are plenty of people here who know a whole lot.
It's also worth doing a bit of searching; this is a top shop working on a car by a top restoration house:
http://www.porschetopsandinteriors.net/ ... ertible-d/
European Collectables might have images of some of the cars they've handled; they and Wilhoit Auto Restorations are the only houses I can think of which have good web images.
(and I see one just posted; Jim's done a lot of cars)
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

With the worth of a Conv D owner should take it to Road Scholars- only a few hours away.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#6 Post by Peter Silten »

Take Jim Liberty's advice. He knows what he is talking about.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Autos International also has lots of good in-progress pictures. If your customer wants a show-winning car, someone familiar with these cars really is the answer. If you feel like doing a lot of research and are confident of your skills, you could probably do a very nice driver level car. This is not to put down your skills, but prior experience is very helpful.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna