Sierra Madre Oil Cooler

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

Sierra Madre Oil Cooler

#1 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Does anyone have first hand experience with, or detailed knowledge of, Sierra Madre Oil Cooler? I am in the market for one, and recently got an email from them indicating it's available for $370.

I fully appreciate that cheapest is not always best, particularly in the long run. I don't know what is different about Stoddard's offering that would justify the $725 price tag. It is significantly higher than even the Willhoit offering at $495.

I know there are some other Oil Cooler topics, but I'm not finding much in reference to Sierra.

Thanks.
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

Re: Sierra Madre Oil Cooler

#2 Post by Sean M Rooks »

No experience with the Sierra cooler. I did a fair bit of cross shopping when I replaced mine some time ago to improve cooling. I went with the Willhoit cooler as I just felt that he was more reputable. It's a great product.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jules Dielen »

I bought a few from SMC when they were on sale a few years ago, never had an issue. Great product and cooling improved significantly. Very pleased.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Ben Wainscott
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ben Wainscott »

Installed one in our 65 'SC in July of 2014. Car has euro heating system, so did not want to pull the engine (typically by myself) to install the new cooler. The SM oil cooler I bought at that time has a larger "top hat" on it than the cooler core itself. Pulling the fan housing off the old cooler and removing the old cooler was no problem. When I went to re-install the fan housing after cooler installation, I needed to remove the engine lid and the right hinge for clearance over the top of the cooler. For me still much easier than pulling the engine.

All in all no complaints after 5 years and 15K miles.
Ben Wainscott
65 SC S/R coupe
89 911 Carrera
63 Vespa 150
80 Vespa P200e

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#5 Post by Jim Liberty »

SMC, like Stoddard, NLA carries good stiff. And, stand behind it ………….Jim.
Jim Liberty