Arrrgh, that sinking feeling! Solex floats...

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

Arrrgh, that sinking feeling! Solex floats...

#1 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Help, I know it’s been asked a few times, and I’ve done a few searches, but hoping that someone has solved this recently?

I’ve had floats fail on my Solex P40s over and over, last one I put in just lasted about a month, total absolute junk :x

Are they all made by same supplier?

Any tips on best vendor for new floats?

I was thinking on spraying some permatex leak sealer into the seam on next set, it’s a ‘creeping’ sealer and my hope is it may just help resist the leaks at the float seam, but not add too much weight to float.
Always searching for parts for my Oct 54 Pre A coupe including these:
2 piece 546/2 engine close to #336XX
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Bosch SH/ZS4/1 Ignition switch
Beige knobs for light switch, choke and heater controls

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

Re: Arrrgh, that sinking feeling! Solex floats...

#2 Post by Dan Epperly »

This I why I try not to replace original parts with anything aftermarket.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#3 Post by Phil Planck »

Lots of test repairs reported here:

https://www.912bbs.org/forum/threads/so ... t-3.54235/
Phil Planck

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Thanks for the link interesting read, not encouraging though, several attempts, methods and still leaking ☹️
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dan Epperly »

Maybe the guys at Carburator Rescue can hook you up with good used?

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bob Kittel »

I went through the sinking non floating floats a couple of years ago. One of my originals gave up and so I bought two from a parts distributor. I think all the after market plastic floats are from one source, made by one person that is. Well the first replacement float lasted a couple of months then sank. Hopeful that the second one would work I switched, the second replacement sank in the one day. I sent both back to the parts distributor and he stood by his word and refunded my money. He also pulled the solex floats from his catalog. Finding a real float was proving to be worrisome however a registry member had a spare and kindly sent one along. That was wonderful that someone would step up like that. I have been searching for a spare or two just to have as backups in case. I see originals on Ebay more than other places, registry and Samba and the prices are all over the map. The problem of the sinking floats has not been solved and don't waste your time in trying to repair one, they sink and will sink again.
Bob Kittel

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#7 Post by Geoff Fleming »

I've never seen an original, ( unmolested!), Solex float sink but have seen a new one take in gas. Seems there was a batch of badly made repros a few years ago.Almost impossible to find where the leakage was coming from. Find an old original and you won't be bothered again.

Ben Wainscott
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ben Wainscott »

I had a float fail about on one of my Solex's about 8 years ago. Float had absorbed some gas and allowed the float bowl to fill up and overflow. I was fortunate it was at home and I had an old set of Solex's to take one out of. I sourced a used float, off e-bay or Samba and weighted it down in a jar of gas for a week to see if it would hold. It did, and it is a spare I always carry in my "on the road parts kit", although I'm not sure my test is 100%. I spoke to the folks at JB Weld at that time, and he said that their epoxy would be attacked by the ethanol in today's fuels. Not sure if they have a new epoxy today that would hold.

Anyway, I have always been looking for a new spare. I have spoke to Jim at Carburetor Rescue, and he said he as proposed to one of our suppliers that they re-produce one. My opinion is there would be significant interest in folks who drive their cars outside their local ares to carry a spare, and if the price was reasonable, I might even replace both of my floats with new.
Ben Wainscott
65 SC S/R coupe
89 911 Carrera
63 Vespa 150
80 Vespa P200e

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Alex If I had more than one spare-But Alas I don't.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#10 Post by David Jones »

I have had Solex floats leak and take on gas and sink but I also had one that did quite the opposite. It expanded sideways and on the top and stuck in the float chamber. I had just driven 47 miles to cars n coffee and the car had been parked for an hour or so and when I went to leave it was running like crap. Disconnecting a carb link in turn on each side found the problem side and removing the carb top found the float stuck in the high position shutting off fuel flow completely. It was a very hot summers day and I can only surmise that on switch off the fuel boiled in the carb and the float expanded at the top of its travel and gave rise to the problem. A new float sourced from a friend 20 minutes away and the use of another friends 911 to collect it and his garage to install it and I was able to drive home. Moral of the story is as mentioned to carry a spare float if you have Solex 40Pii-4 carbs or should that be a 40Pjj-4 as in the "C" drivers manual..
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#11 Post by Alex Parmenter »

All, many thanks for all the input on this one! It’s really disappointing that we can only get such useless spare floats for our Solex carbs. The first set I put in lasted a couple of years, but this second batch seems to be even worse as stated above, literally days 🙄. A big thanks to Geoff who may have a couple of spares to get me going again! 👍😁

Definitely seems like a good opportunity for a parts supplier to get some high quality floats made up, and once again, original is always best! (Unless we’re talking rubber fuel and brake hoses 😁).
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ron LaDow »

Ben Wainscott wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:46 am[...] My opinion is there would be significant interest in folks who drive their cars outside their local ares to carry a spare, and if the price was reasonable, I might even replace both of my floats with new.
I can only speak for Pre Mat, but good replacements are not likely to be priced 'reasonably'.
The part(s) require two individual parts, thereafter bonded together, with VERY good QC to prevent a recurrence of the current problem. The start-up costs alone price most all of the vendors out of the market, not to mention the marketing costs to differentiate the new ones from the old. And as we see here, when the problem gets difficult, people dig under the bench and find the rat-holed parts they stuck there years ago, leaving the vendor now holding an expensive inventory with no return.
Hope this is not misunderstood; most all of us providing parts are not deaf to the demand for this or that part. Every one of the guys developing parts loves to be the one who figures out how to get that part out the door sooner and at a lower price than the others.
But carb parts in particular are tough. Originally, there were millions made which meant the tooling costs were irrelevant. Now, anyone trying to make them is selling tens. 9 zeros compared to one; there's the reason rebop carb parts are not, and will not be 'reasonably' priced.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

Couldn't they be made of stamped, soldered brass for an easier, cheaper product?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dick Weiss »

I fixed a few years ago after draining fuel w/o opening them, let dry 24hrs. and resealed w/a touch of JB Weld, reweighing them to the specs of 7-grams; no problems since.
Tank sender float(s) were sealed w/a very thin coating of tank sealer and rechecked the weights; The early cork version requires a little more work,
or acquire a plastic one--from an old(?) sender.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#15 Post by David Jones »

There is a brass version and well priced at the same cost as the plastic one.
http://www.ricambicarburatori.com/conte ... R5521.html
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715