Installing hand throttle

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

Installing hand throttle

#1 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

I am in the process of installing a hand throttle on my BT6 as it was one of the last ones and missed this useful feature. I acquired a nice throttle level mechanism that is working perfectly and I purchased the 660mm cable from Sierra Madre, as specified for the BT6 cars (660mm).

In the process of trial fitting the cable I can see that the wire cable itself is long enough (1.3m) but the reinforced Bowden tube is (as specified) is 660mm. This seems not long enough to be able to position and clamp the tube for effective operation of the cable on the lever arm of the mechanism (second and third images as on a LHD car which seems to have split cable unlike the continuous Sierra Madre part - first image ). NOTE: my car is a RHD but I can't see how that would matter much. At best I could only clamp the end of reinforced section of the cable to the underside of the panel under the gas tank. Not vertically near the actual mechanism (first image)

I am wondering what to do? I could add another section of Bowden tube to the existing section (I have some from a lawn mower), or cut the existing wire and place a small 'elbow' section on the vertical panel nearer to the lever mechanism?
Attachments
7645_IMG_1052.jpg
7645_IMG_1052.jpg (96.89 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
Wireebay.jpg
Wireebay.jpg (29.89 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
_MG_2827 copy.JPG
_MG_2827 copy.JPG (481.09 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Installing hand throttle

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Merv:

I looked at the A and B/C shop manuals and didn't find any info. However, in the B parts manual, it shows the end of the black cable cover clamped underneath the gas tank (#356.49.648). The wire extends slightly from that point to a splice ("clamping piece" #644.24.511) and then a short piece of wire to the hand throttle mechanism.
I hope this helps.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

Re: Installing hand throttle-Sierra Madre

#3 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Thanks Mike. I will need to make up another section of Bowden tube to make the distance and the bend down to the lever arm.

In doing some checking yesterday with UK colleagues, We think this is a Right Hand Drive BT6 issue. The Sierra Madre online product information offers the 660mm cable for these cars. It probably does fit in US LHD cars with the different gas tank and bulkhead arrangement. However, for those of us with RHD cars and the old under dash arrangement, it doesn't work. I suspect that the T5 cable which is 850mm (Bowden tube length) would fit my car perfectly. I wrote to advise Sierra Madre of what was a possible BT6 issue with their current part listing and the frustration it had caused me in trying to install the cable. However, so far I have only received a rather limited, 'thanks for telling us' communication.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

The only difference between left and right hand drive was the hand throttle mechanism itself. Sorry other owners of right hand drive cars haven't weighed in with info and/or pics. It would definitely help. (Hint...hint!)

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#5 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

They are probably on the DDK Mike. The RHD cars in the BT6 line retained the inner fuel filler, the large upright tank and a somewhat different bulkhead design. More like the T5 possibly. Also, the fast idle throttle cable has to go from the RHS dash mounting to the opposite side of the tunnel to reach the mechanism. The mechanism is the same for both LHD and RHD on the left side of the tunnel mounting- thus a longer travel, not reflected in the recommended (660mm) SM cable length (image below is not mine).

Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

I just had my "aha" moment. I mistskenly thought the gas tank was the same and the hand throttle on the left hand side. So, if I' getting this right, you need a longer outer cable cover and wire? What about trying to somehow graft on the outer cover of a speedo cover and splice in a longer wire?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#7 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

That's it Mike. I have had to lengthen the, supplied as correct, cable from Sierra Madre (660mm) as shown below using some of a Bowden tube from a spare mower cable. I removed the ally ferrule from the SM cable and re-glued it on to the extended cable. it now fits it seems. Ian of SM is helping also. The T5 cable 850mm would have been perfect.

Imagefallout 3 sheet music book locations
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

A creative solution, Merv. Way to go!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#9 Post by David Nicholls »

Hello Mervyn
T6s had the Hi Lo Beam switch on the steering column, not on the floor.
My T6 RHD is original, let me know if you'd like some pictures.
Regards
David

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

Interesting, Merv, that the dimmer switch is on the floor like an A model as well as the windshield washer pump. Next time I see a RHD 356, I have to look more closely at it's differences.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#11 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Thanks David and Mike. My dimmer switch is on the steering column stalk, as normal. That was just a photo I came across of the hand throttle mechanism. Not sure why the dimmer switch is there on the tunnel? Looks like an A by the white heater knob.

I have the hand throttle mechanism and adapted cable now installed and adjusted (fun work down in the footwell for quite a while). Certainly keeps the spine limber. The throttle works well and will be useful. I am still looking for the correct knob at this stage (current one is adapted from a spare radio knob, with an M5 nut inserted).
Attachments
Dash with Hand Throttle.jpg
Dash with Hand Throttle.jpg (544.49 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Last edited by Mervyn Hyde on Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats, Merv! Try looking for a knob for an A model fresh air vent; the one with the nut on it.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

Is the knob for engine lid cable correct by any chance?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

I don't think so, Martin, as the engine and trunk lid cables are pulled and the hand throttle is twisted. It has to be locked in to prevent it from unscrewing.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#15 Post by Martin Benade »

I thought the cable just pulled a lever. Is there something besides friction to make it stay pulled out?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna