Zenith Carb. repair...acclerator return spring bolt

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Roger Bowley
356 Fan

Zenith Carb. repair...acclerator return spring bolt

#1 Post by Roger Bowley »

Need a source for the repair of the "fatal flaw" on the Zenith Carburetor. Ab Tiedemann used to offer a fix kit but I see regrettably for all of us that he passed away in January. Talked w/Ron Ladow @ Precision Matters and he said they are no longer in the carb. business...too bad! Suggestions, leads will be appreciated.
Roger Bowley, 15523

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Zenith Carb. repair...acclerator return spring bolt

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

In Vendors section Carb rescue or Bruce at CFI One or both probably fix this. Possibly Dick Weiss in Cincinnati Ohio also Where are you located?
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce Smith »

What fatal flaw do you mean? Have some cover top screws threads been stripped out of the base? I can Helicoil them for correct M5x0.90 if you'd like. You can then use the original cover screws but may also want to thin the spring clip and use a thinner wave washer. I wrote an article for the mag, you can find it here:

http://www.sparkingplugs.com/resources/ ... Repair.pdf
http://www.sparkingplugs.com/3.html
Bruce Smith

Roger Bowley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Roger Bowley »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:17 pm In Vendors section Carb rescue or Bruce at CFI One or both probably fix this. Possibly Dick Weiss in Cincinnati Ohio also Where are you located?
Located east of Sacramento, CA in Sierra foothills. Dick Weiss? Contact information? Thanks! Roger

Roger Bowley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Roger Bowley »

Bruce Smith wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:47 pm What fatal flaw do you mean? Have some cover top screws threads been stripped out of the base? I can Helicoil them for correct M5x0.90 if you'd like. You can then use the original cover screws but may also want to thin the spring clip and use a thinner wave washer. I wrote an article for the mag, you can find it here:

http://www.sparkingplugs.com/resources/ ... Repair.pdf
http://www.sparkingplugs.com/3.html
Bruce , I'll check out your article. It's the bolt that holds the return spring bracket on the top of the carburetor...the carburetor body threads have stripped and will need an insert (Helicoil). I was not aware that an M5x.90 was available. I'd like to keep the original bolt/screw. Thanks, Roger

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Weiss »

I undercut 1-screw to make the threads longer (leaving enough of the hex head showing) to suit the hook's thickness and reaching some remaining threads.
Otherwise, I sometimes made a 6 x 1,0 screw w/proper length and hex stock and re-tapped the hole in the body, Another repair=JB Weld, or a Helicoil if available.
As always mentioned--DON'T overtighten!!!

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dick Weiss »

I also repair stripped banjo bolt threads in the Zenith top covers w/a special bronze insert and square refaced the casting's hole. NO leaks and it won't stretch again!
I'll have a couple on my bench @ Hershey swap meet next month for $125 exchange or $175 w/o a core; The cover's face is also flattened (w/o machining.

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#8 Post by Greg Carter »

+1 for either Mr. Weiss or Mr. Smith.

I had Mr. Smith rebuild a set of Zeniths for me last year and they're perfect.

Greg

Roger Bowley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Roger Bowley »

Thanks to all who have responded...helpfully! I'll make contacts and get the repair/s done. Roger