6v Pertronix Install

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Knight
356 Fan
Tag: Trailers are for boats.

6v Pertronix Install

#1 Post by John Knight »

Had this installed on my 6v car this week. Suffice it to say I am not happy with the results. It takes a few minutes of run-in when cold before the car runs smoothly, then idles at around 1100 RPM. Once warm, the car idles at around 1700 when stopped at a light. If I'm there long enough it will slowly drop to 1100 again. Shifting between gears is horrible. It's like back-in-the-day turbo lag between each shift. When the car is switched off there is a "thunk" sound instead of just quietly stopping to run. I am hoping what I have described can be remedied with some adjustments. Otherwise it's back points and a condenser.
John Knight
Southern Owners Group

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

Re: 6v Pertronix Install

#2 Post by Bruce Smith »

You probably haven't got enough current to run generate the Hall effect voltage. It's not such a plug-and-play at 6V unless you go through your car's wiring first to make sure you eliminate resistance and voltage drops. Here's an article I wrote for the mag. Look toward the end of the article for 6V issues.

http://www.sparkingplugs.com/resources/ ... +Smith.pdf
http://www.sparkingplugs.com/3.html
Bruce Smith

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

I had John Willhoit install the 6V Pertronix with his reworked distributor on my 1883 cc engine and I'm not experiencing the same issues.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#4 Post by Thomas Sottile »

How did the car run before the install of the Pertronix? It sound like the Dist. has a problem.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

Agree on the distributor not returning the advance properly at idle. The 12 volt Pertronix seems to work OK and has lots of followers. The 6 volt, on the other hand, can be very voltage sensitive, depending upon the quality and tolerance of its internal parts. I've had two bad ones. One was too sensitive to higher voltages (that were still within spec) and burned out. The other had a high speed miss because it wanted higher voltages. Same system. No changes in voltage settings. Others have received units that work just fine. It's a crap shoot as to which 6 volt unit you will get. Search through this forum for other posts on the subject.

I've gone back to being a fan of Mr. Kettering's system......
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

Use Mr Ketterings system with one of these, Cheaper and way better than a Pertronix. Still have points but no capacitor and the points having no load last forever or until the rubbing block wears out.
https://gammatronixltd.com/epages/bae94 ... ER%206v%22
I have one on my cabriolet and it is a simple installation and also easily converted back in a few minutes if it should fail unlike the Pertronix which is going to need more than 5 minutes to return to stock in event of failure.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

John Knight
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Knight »

The car ran well, but it was time for a tune up. I bought the Pertronix several years ago, and decided to give it a try.
John Knight
Southern Owners Group

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dick Weiss »

It's not the Pertronix's fault, altho I never use one; You need a little slack in the throttle linkage adjustment due to the expansion of the engine and transmission
which effects the idle RPM when warm/hot. Pop off the ball sockets from the carb arms and raise them--you should adjust the links so the sockets will be approximately
3/32" above the ball pins. Reconnect and w/the engine shut off, recheck the full openings of the carbs and adjust the pedal stop to suit.

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#9 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

I have a 6v Pertronix and did not have that problem. I did have a problem with cold start in cold weather as the voltage got too low unless the battery was fully charged. I added a Winterburn CD and now the car drives even better and starts well in cold weather.

Chuck
PS: I have an Optima 6V
Last edited by Charles H Jacobus on Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dan Macdonald »

I have a 6V Pertronix in my '57 Speedster. Runs great, but I do have an Optima battery which might help startup(?)
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

John Knight
356 Fan

#11 Post by John Knight »

Dan, I have a new Optima battery. Start up has not been a problem.
John Knight
Southern Owners Group

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#12 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

John:
I would take the distributor cap off and rotate the rotor to insure free movement of the weights. If they are free moving, and the car was running well before then perhaps it is the pertonics itself is not operating properly. I highly recommend the Winterburn 6 Volt CDI in any case- especially if you go back to points.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)