Adapter Plate to change dual mount to single mount transmission

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Edgar Bechtle
356 Fan

Adapter Plate to change dual mount to single mount transmission

#1 Post by Edgar Bechtle »

Hello,
I would like to install a dual mount transmission in a earlier car with a single mount and I was told that I would need an adapter plate to fit the single mount piece to the newer transmission.
Where can I get such an adapter plate?
Or does anybody has a drawing with the critical dimensions, so that I can make it?

Thx.

Edgar

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Adapter Plate to change dual mount to single mount transmission

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

What year single-mount car do you have? Pre-A, or early 741?

Edgar Bechtle
356 Fan

#3 Post by Edgar Bechtle »

It's a 52' Pre-A.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

No one is selling such a product; the demand is entirely too small for any vendor to make a run and offer it for sale.
Butt making one is not difficult. That the loads at that mount are largely vertical and static. There are dynamic lateral loads, but they are reduced by the distance of the loads (at the axles) from the rear 'loop' mounts; call it 3:1, and those loads are taken by the adapter as compressive or tensile; not requiring a lot of meat.
Many years ago, I fitted a 741 to a pre-A Speedster with a formed 1/8" steel plate, drilled for those two ( ?; hey, it's been a while) studs and the side mounts for the 741. The rear suspension may not have been as 'stable' as a later car with factory 741 mounts, but it was certainly no less stable than the ordinal.
Plus, the gear change was much improved.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

Ron, aren't there dynamic vertical loads at the mount from acceleration and braking? I would think they were about as much force as a skinny tire could generate sideways. When I put two bolts through the broken front mount of my 58 VW they generated vertical slop in a couple of weeks. Of course I am not saying I did it well, done right it could be fine.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna