Radio Support Bracket

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Douglas
356 Fan

Radio Support Bracket

#1 Post by Steve Douglas »

I finally putting the original Blauplunt Frankfurt TR in my A coupe, in the misc box from long ago I found the rear support bracket, but it's unlike any I have seen before, it's been about 49 years since I pulled it out and installed a VW AM-FM. So, I'm guess that the added part is something to do with clearing the power supply. Anybody else have one of these installed??
Attachments
IMG_3666.jpg
IMG_3666.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 1315 times

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

Re: Radio Support Bracket

#2 Post by Norm Miller »

The power supply hangs from the tuner and the bracket shown bolts to the back of the radio and then it attaches to two little brackets with rubber grommets on the ends of the hanger.
The front is standard procedure faceplate, set nuts, knobs etc.

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Douglas »

Norm, the supports that I have dealt with before had only the yoke and the tab, bolting directly to the back of the radio, unsure how the "L" shaped piece fits. I have the radio in and working but without the support bracket, tried several different ways but nothing really fits well. So, for now I just putting some padding between the ashtray and the radio.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Nelson »

Could also be that he needed the deep bracket, and only had the shallow one and made do.
IMG_2494.jpg
IMG_2494.jpg (47.89 KiB) Viewed 1297 times

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#5 Post by Mark Reich »

Looks like if you unscrew the L-shaped piece you will have the normal yoke and attachment piece left for installation.

Mark
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#6 Post by Alex Mestas »

I never knew the hangers had 2 different lengths as in Jim’s photo. I can tell you that the grommets that are placed between the hanger and the tin that holds the bracket are critical so you don’t get the noisey creaking sound.

download/file.php?id=31851&mode=view
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron LaDow »

The sheet-metal 'gussets' which accept the grommets are pretty much designed to give you the "... noisey creaking sound..."; if the grommets last more than the test drive, you are fortunate.
A couple of short m8 bolts (drilled) and a couple of nuts spread the loads over a greatly extended area, and the (guaranteed) 'mis-alignment' of the bail ends means they'll be a nug fit and won't rattle:
Radio Bail Mount.jpg
Radio Bail Mount.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 1256 times
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz