Cut Clock Hole On Dash

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

Cut Clock Hole On Dash

#1 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Thought I started this as a new Topic but it got caught up in Topic "Clock Not Working". I'll try again.

What's the best way to cut a clean hole in the dash of my T5 so I can install my new quartz clock? Car never had a clock before and I would like to cut hole without buggering up the paint on the dash. I've considered marking appropriately-sized circle (50-60 mm?) and then drilling many small holes inside the perimeter and finishing with a Dremel or some such. Is there a fine hole saw available to fit to a drill that would work? Open to all suggestions. Thanks.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

Re: Cut Clock Hole On Dash

#2 Post by Don Gale »

I scribed a circle and drilled a 3/8" hole, placing it about 1/16" away from the finished diameter. I used a sheet metal nibbler to carefully cut all the way around, close to the edge and finished the hole with a jeweler's file. There was no distortion, and doing it by hand avoided heating that would blister or discolor the paint. The clock bezel will cover any irregularities as long as the hole is close to size. Looks like the style nibbler I used is NLA. They show up on Ebay occasionally but are a bit pricey.

Here's a similar cheaper alternative to the Klein tool:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BN60XW/ref=dp_cerb_1

A 2-1/16" Greenlee knockout punch is the normal way you would do. Practice on a piece of scrap to see if it's better to put the cup in the inside or outside of the hole.

Here's mine which I did with a nibbler:

Last edited by Don Gale on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

George Hussey
356 Fan

#3 Post by George Hussey »

I would not cut a hole in an original car, use your cell phone to tell the time.

I went through a bunch of work welding up a big rectangular radio hole that the dealer in 1961 cut into my roadster when installing a radio. Could have just added the radio holder under the dash instead.
George Hussey

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bruce Smith »

George Hussey wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:38 am I would not cut a hole in an original car
I agree with George. My '60 cab was built w/o a clock. Although not rare, it's also not too common. I don't see the point to changing it.
Bruce Smith

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#5 Post by Jim Liberty »

I've put gauges and clocks in many cars. I start with the location of the center of the hole, tape it off and draw a circle smaller that the piece. Drill a 1/4' hole, followed by a tapered step drill to get to 1". Then use an air tool with a 3/8" dia. burr, and carefully remove material until the gauge/clock slides in. If you are not comfortable with this tool, do not attempt it

……………………………………….Jim.
Jim Liberty

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#6 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Just get the proper metal cutting hole saw, smear with vaseline and cut it takes 1 min.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brad Ripley »

Seconding to George and Bruce, don't cut a hole in your dash. FYI, in case someone wants to put a smaller instrument in the clock hole, there is a VDO spacer ring for that purpose.

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#8 Post by Mark Reich »

When I bought my T5, my buddy took a picture of the blank space in the dash and said, "That's where the clock goes". I totally disagreed - that dash has never been cut, and hopefully never will be. With all sorts of vintage-looking quartz clocks available, I am sure there is something that could be applied with double-stick tape that would not require cutting a hole.

Personally, I don't look at the time when I am driving my 356!

Mark
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

#9 Post by Don Gale »

I have to respectfully disagree with those who prefer not to alter the dash. I get it. With the scarcity of these cars, there is somewhat of a need to keep them nice and original. I realize any modification from original will likely detract from value, but it's my car and I will make how I want it. I like having a clock . . . and an oil pressure gauge . . . and the re-located lighter socket. I had no qualms "butchering" the dash in 1975, for a daily driver that I paid a paltry $900 for in 1973, original black plate Calif. car. It wasn't a beater, it had fresh paint and upholstery, ran great but had issues: non-original upholstery, the front drums were warped, the trans popped out of 1st & reverse, in need of a valve job soon, and nerf bars instead of bumpers, but the rest of it was original and complete except for a Normal engine instead of the Super it should have had. It was a fun car to drive, more so than my 912. I have driven it coast to coast several times and many many long ventures into the Sierras and Rockies, and dozens of trips up and down the coast of California.

I bought it because it is fun! It wasn't needy, and the only time it let me down was when I temporarily had a 40 hp VW motor in it so I could take a trip from San Francisco to Denver via Yosemite and Tioga Pass, while I was waiting on CE to finish (eff'ing) my case and crank. I remember it shredding a fan belt between Tonopah and Caliente, NV. No problem, or so I thought, I had a handful of spare belts in the trunk -- guess what -- 356 fan belts are too short to fit VW's, had to park it and thumb a ride. The deciding factor in keeping it as an "outlaw" vs, returning it to stock was when I scored a set of original front & rear bumpers and overriders at a swap meet in Santa Ana -- for $115. Now she has sat as my garage queen since 1979, parked for a leaky carb float valve on the left side. It has regretfully been on the back burner ever since as I got sidetracked with other more pressing projects and lack of time, not to mention 4 moves and numerous job changes later. Now that I am more or less retired, I am in the process of getting it on the road again after all these years, with hopes of making it to Flagstaff in October (fingers crossed). In the end, I have no intention of ever selling it. A non-original dash you say? When I'm a gummer in a rest home and have to decide which kid to will it to, I will be more concerned with having a regular bowel movement than the loss in value from the dash mods.
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#10 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Geez, Don, couldn't have said it better myself. Oh, and thanks for your solution for cutting that hole and thanks to you other folks for your ideas as well. Thomas, I like your style. I'll settle on one or a combo now that the snow is melting and I can work in the unheated garage. Regarding the rape of my dash, it may be original but my sled is a Driver and will never be a contender. It has parts from A, B, and C although it looks pretty good from across the street. I think the clock looks cool but I'll miss the tick, tick, tick, ping, tick, tick from the one I had in my T6 years ago.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions and a healthy discussion.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#11 Post by Norm Miller »

Just a sample of botchery my 65 has a circumcised dash where the ashtray and switches were.
In near 10 years, no one has noticed!
If you do a nice job no one will notice either.

marcsherriff
356 Fan

#12 Post by marcsherriff »

I used to work for VDO, back in the days before these cars were considered valuable (early 90's). At that time I was brought numerous cars that had been converted to RHD, and was asked to "Make the Dash Work". Some cars came with clocks some did not, some had them fitted some time after factory. What I did notice was that the difference between the factory fitted clocks and the dealer/owner fitted clocks was the hole itself. The factory hole was not just cut out, but looked like it was punched out, as the edges were pressed out towards the cabin. I now look for this when I see a clock in a 356. This is pretty hard to replicate.
As to cutting holes in the dash, we used a circle saw, best quality you can find, and just get into it. All options involve a lot of mess to clean up. Newer styles of saw cut much cleaner. Have the vacuum cleaner running from behind the dash to assist the clean up. As the swarf that drops into the curled up lip at the bottom of the dash with start rusting about 7 minutes after you have completed the job.
By the way, as a compromise, fit it to the glove box lid. Easy fix back to normal! Does not look out of place either.
Good Luck.
Marc Sherriff
Marc and Cars
www.youtube.com/c/marcandcars

Perth.
Western Australia.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#13 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Since I am not a museum curator, I modify as I please. After considering most of the methods mentioned above, and not wanting to slip or burn the paint, and make more work for myself, I decided on the piloted hole saw. I drilled the center hole, and two other holes inside the cut circle, all in a line. Then I made a 1/4" thick pilot plate of steel and bolted it in place. I replaced the pilot drill with a smooth rod. That way the pilot drill couldn't egg out the hole. It cut a nice hole and saved the paint.
BTW this was for a VDO oil pressure gage which I had Palo Alto Speedometer recreate for me.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#14 Post by George Hussey »

we are currently helping a man get his 914-6 back to what It would be. Someone years ago replaced the fuel temp gauge with a 911 oil press oil temp and cut a hole in the right side of the dash to install a fuel gauge. These cars are now worth so much in stock dress that the guy insists on returning to its original valuable state. NOW we have to remove the right side switches, unstick the unavailable vinyl covered dash plate, cut two round pieces of metal (one thicker than the other, cover the interior and under dash with heavy welding blankets, weld in the two pieces, grind and smooth and work the repaired patches, paint both sides of the dash. Then we have to recover the dash plate, restock it with double faced tape and then reinstall all of the switches. All from a simple bad decision, years ago, ten hours of work and materials, PLUS a new old stock fuel temp gauge for 700 dollars
George Hussey

George Hussey
356 Fan

#15 Post by George Hussey »

As someone so aptly said: "we are but temporary caretakers of these cars"
George Hussey