New COA, not CTC

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
George Hussey
356 Fan

Re: New COA, not CTC

#16 Post by George Hussey »

what does the current driveline have to do with the original numbers of the car? Who would car OTHER than the fact that the numbers do not match. Case closed.
George Hussey

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#17 Post by Bruce Smith »

I agree, this seems sort of stupid. If I had a car w/o the original motor, why would I want documentation (that I'd have to pay for) referring to the current wrong motor. The upside of not having the original motor is you are free to swap it out if you find a better one, etc. Then what, get another COA with that wrong motor number?
Bruce Smith

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#18 Post by Wes Bender »

Whether or not the numbers match probably only means something to someone who has all matching numbers. If they don't match, so what? Drive and enjoy it. The Kardex is still the best, regardless if it costs more. I knew my engine was original because I had previously checked it with Elevenparts. I wasn't sure about the transmission s/n until I obtained my Kardex from David. Now that I know that my numbers all match and have a document to prove it, I have no interest in having Porsche check the car for originality.

I'm with Ron on this one. It's highly unlikely that the average trained Porsche technician will know any more than some of the folks on this forum about aspects of the car that aren't on the Kardex.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jules Dielen »

Had some of my air cooled P cars at a local Porsche Classic center for a show. They could not get any of them started after the show. I got there, they had my 6v 356 on a 12V Charger and they had also cranked the 68 911 until the battery ran out of juice, they had that on a charger too. After i kindly requested the 12v charger be removed from the 6v battery, the 'Porsche Classic department manager' reached through the window of the 911 to try and start it, and it just cranked. I then revealed "you know it has carbs, right?" and I got a blank stare. I got in the car, pressed the throttle twice and low and behold if fired right up. Same with the 356 after a few pumps of the gas pedal.

If those are the same people verifying the numbers on a 356 i would not be surprised if one opens the trunk to look for the engine number.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#20 Post by Brad Ripley »

Besides the "CTC" statement in Adam's first post, below is what Porsche currently has in their website about their Porsche Production Specifications (PPS) program. I pasted that statement over the form and scanned it. Note the phrase: Engine and transmission serial numbers are no longer included....
PPS 2.jpg
PPS 2.jpg (111.77 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
Gee, hate to see the CoA be retired since my signature was on hundreds of those Back in the Day.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#21 Post by Emil Wojcik »

I'm glad the original Porsche factory invoice came with my car. Shows all options as well as engine and trans numbers. That's why I didn't bother getting the Kardex back when they were cheap.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#22 Post by David Jones »

Look on the bright side Brad. A Kardex with your signature will sell for much more in 20 years just like a baseball with Babe Ruths signature on the Antiques Roadshow.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#23 Post by Brad Ripley »

I was never any good at baseball! BTW, over at the Early 911S chat you can read more anger in 5+ pages http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums ... ertificate

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#24 Post by Mike Wilson »

Interesting comments from the 911 Registry members. Question: if the Porsche Classic dealer is supposedly going to certify that your car has matching numbers engine and transaxle, where are THEY getting the info, from Porsche AG Who has the Kardexes?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#25 Post by Norm Miller »

I wonder if this will level the playing field?
I suspect Porsche AG will attempt cutting off the source Kardex next.
Then a buyer has only the sellers word the numbers match and the whole thing becomes a moot point.
I'm tired of the 356 being some kind of bitcoin.
Norm 3294
65 coupe
70 911T coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#26 Post by Adam Wright »

Norm Miller wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:10 am I wonder if this will level the playing field?
I suspect Porsche AG will attempt cutting off the source Kardex next.
Then a buyer has only the sellers word the numbers match and the whole thing becomes a moot point.
I'm tired of the 356 being some kind of bitcoin.
Norm 3294
65 coupe
70 911T coupe
Unfortunately, there are multiple Kardex sources, so they will probably have a harder time then they think.
I don't think anything other than the apocalypse is going to dramatically lower 356 prices in the next 5-10 years.
The good news for anyone who was shopping in 2016-2017 and couldn't make a decision, prices for average cars are down.
There is a local guy who was looking at B cabs then and couldn't find one, they were all $125,000-150,000. He is still looking at the average price is closer to $100,000, he is pretty happy about waiting.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Michael Johnston
356 Fan

#27 Post by Michael Johnston »

Sorry to jump in on this but for father's day my wife wanted to get me a COA and we came across this new PPS/CTC stuff replacing the COA. Where do I go to get the info the COA has/had? In addition to the other info I'd like to see the engine/trans #'s that were originally on my 356B and check if they are still on it.
Much thanks!

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#28 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Although I had a COA I got a Kardex from David because, as I figure it, they will be history some time soon. I hope not but who knows? Thanks to the Kardex I also now know the name of the Original owner. Before I only knew 2nd owner and 3rd owners names. I am 4th owner.
Attachments
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1770 times
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#29 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Michael Johnston wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:23 pm Sorry to jump in on this but for father's day my wife wanted to get me a COA and we came across this new PPS/CTC stuff replacing the COA. Where do I go to get the info the COA has/had? In addition to the other info I'd like to see the engine/trans #'s that were originally on my 356B and check if they are still on it.
Much thanks!
PM sent Michael. COA had information taken from Kardex. Kardex also has import dealer, maybe original owner, Key information...
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#30 Post by Adam Wright »

This is the latest word from Porsche, it's basically you can get the basic info from them but if you want the full meal deal, you have to take it to a participating dealer for the $500 run down.

"Thank you for your Porsche Production Specification (PPS) inquiry. We are emailing you to make you aware that the PPS (COA) has been updated. We will no longer list the engine and transmission number on a PPS, rather we will list the engine displacement. We also now offer the Classic Technical Certificate (CTC) which is a comprehensive certificate providing important production information and technical specifications of your Porsche. For information regarding the CTC, please visit the below website.

Yes, an authorized Porsche dealer or Certified Classic Partner is only able to provide the CTC.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessories ... formation/

Kind Regards,

Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
One Porsche Drive
Atlanta, GA 30354-9817"
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.