Aluminum profile strip above the rear window of a cab top. Anyone know where to locate one?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ed Fanning
356 Fan

Aluminum profile strip above the rear window of a cab top. Anyone know where to locate one?

#1 Post by Ed Fanning »

The original aluminum strip was removed to replace the top and is probably not likely to go back without a fight. Wondered if there was an alternative approach to get this desirable aesthetic touch back on the top of a 58 Cab

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

Re: Aluminum profile strip above the rear window of a cab top. Anyone know where to locate one?

#2 Post by Spencer Harris »

Pretty sure that chrome over brass strips replaced aluminum trim strips when the front & rear trim pieces were eliminated in late '57 (starting with cab no. 150001).
I bought the chrome trim for my '58 cab from Michael Lederman via this Samba ad. It would be worth contacting him to see if he still makes these pieces, or knows of a source.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=1681105
25DSC_0025[1].jpg
25DSC_0025[1].jpg (234.06 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
25DSC_0024[1].jpg
25DSC_0024[1].jpg (158.38 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
image (11)[1].jpeg
image (11)[1].jpeg (180.15 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Ed Fanning
356 Fan

Re: Aluminum profile strip above the rear window of a cab top. Anyone know where to locate one?

#3 Post by Ed Fanning »

Spencer, Thanks for your reply. I checked the site but no dice. Stoddard has one in aluminum as does Sierra Madre I've since discovered but installation looks mighty daunting. Did you do yours and, if so, did it necessitate spiritual guidance or is there a reasonably straight forward method?

Again thanks.
Attachments
My car a little while ago in the restoration process
My car a little while ago in the restoration process
IMG_6753.JPG (2.47 MiB) Viewed 2083 times

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#4 Post by Spencer Harris »

Tony Garcia at Autobahn Interiors in San Diego did the upholstery and top and installed the trim strip.
Someone posted this on the Registry a few years ago. Unfortunately I didn't record the author and can't give proper credit/recognition to them. If someone tells me who posted this I'll edit my post and give them credit.
Slide61.jpg
Slide61.jpg (67.72 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

I understand that drilling small holes into the wood bow and putting the nails into them with a tiny amount of epoxy is the common solution. I think the strip is easy to dent. I have been procrastinating doing this on my Cab although it shouldn't be that hard.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ed Fanning
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ed Fanning »

Thanks to you both. The more you think about it the less daunting it seems. Appears slightly oversized predrilled holes and an inordinate faith in Gorilla glue (epoxy) might just work.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jules Dielen »

Ed Fanning wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:22 pm Thanks to you both. The more you think about it the less daunting it seems. Appears slightly oversized predrilled holes and an inordinate faith in Gorilla glue (epoxy) might just work.
After ruining 2 on my car, that is what we ended up doing. make sure you get the angle about right and then test fit a few times before final install. Epoxy and DUN.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#8 Post by Spike Jones »

Spencer,
I see that you opted to put a top with the zip-out rear window on your cab.
I also have a '58 cab and put the current top on it in 1984. Even though the plastic is still pliable, I'm hesitant to put the top down unless it is very warm out.
Did you ever consider going with the original style? I'm considering a new top & would appreciate pros and cons regarding either style from anyone on the forum.
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brad Ripley »

Original question that Ed asked was where to get these strips. Here's one place http://www.nlaparts.com/store/aluminum- ... -2542.html Installing it is answered above.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#10 Post by Spencer Harris »

SPIKE JONES wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 pm Spencer,
I see that you opted to put a top with the zip-out rear window on your cab.
I also have a '58 cab and put the current top on it in 1984. Even though the plastic is still pliable, I'm hesitant to put the top down unless it is very warm out.
Did you ever consider going with the original style? I'm considering a new top & would appreciate pros and cons regarding either style from anyone on the forum.
The later style ('62 T6) zip-out window is something that Tony suggested when we first talked about the '58 cab for the reasons you've identified; minimize cracking, creasing and scratching. I had a soft-window 912 years ago and quite enjoyed the ability to fold down the rear window and ride with the Targa top on or off. Similar options & aesthetics are realized with the zip-out window on a cabriolet top.
40DSC_0127.jpg
40DSC_0127.jpg (735.7 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#11 Post by Spike Jones »

Thanks for the pics. Not sure whose car this is, but it is beautiful. Gorgeous color combo & stunning paint job!
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#12 Post by Spencer Harris »

SPIKE JONES wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:42 pm Thanks for the pics. Not sure whose car this is, but it is beautiful. Gorgeous color combo & stunning paint job!
Thank you! That would be my '58 cab. I bought it looking like this after 30+ years in a storage shed - now with Kardex correct color scheme of 5706A. Martha was the previous owner and drove it daily to the school where she taught. Her blue CA personalized license plates (which I have) read HRXTC.

EDIT: Oh, you're referring to Ed's cabriolet with the stunning metallic silver paint :? It does indeed look spectacular!. Mine's metallic silver also, but my photos don't really show the paint job.

DSC_0249 (Large).jpg
DSC_0249 (Large).jpg (255.01 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.