self-cancelling ring orientation

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Grant
356 Fan

self-cancelling ring orientation

#1 Post by Mike Grant »

I have a follow up question from my recent post on turn signal switch removal.

What is the correct orientation for the self-cancelling ring that's on the back side of the steering wheel hub? When I pulled the steering wheel off to get at the turn signal switch, I confirmed that the tab on the self cancelling ring is in the 9 o'clock position, meaning that the self cancelling fingers normally ride on the tab. My '72 911 had the tab in the 3 o'clock position, which intuitively seems correct.

Thanks.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: self-cancelling ring orientation

#2 Post by Wes Bender »

Sometimes intuition can be wrong, at least for different cars. Bear in mind that the wheel has to be turned first, then cancels the turn signals as it returns to center.

Added later: The 9 o'clock position is correct. The tabs would only ride on it when the lever is moved for a left or right turn and the wheel is still straight ahead. As soon as you turn the wheel, the tab is allowed to move farther inward and will be activated when the wheel comes back toward the straight ahead position and hits it.

(Disclaimer: I'm doing this from memory because I don't want to go out and pull my steering wheel. If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will correct me......)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mike Grant
356 Fan

Re: self-cancelling ring orientation

#3 Post by Mike Grant »

Thanks Wes. Yes, you're right, 9:00 o'clock position is the correct orientation for the self-cancelling tab. Jack Staggs confirmed this and also reminded me that it's very important to have the signal lever in the neutral position when installing the steering wheel.

I got the switch back from Doug at type356a.com and installed it yesterday. Everything works now, and the self-function cancelling function is smooth and positive in both directions. BTW, Doug's work is outstanding.