Rear Number Plate Bracket

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

Re: Rear Number Plate Bracket

#16 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Unfortunately, hand painted plates are illegal in the U.S. You can't have altered or hand made plates on a vehicle that is driven on public roads. It would be nice, but...

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#17 Post by David Jones »

Why put nuts up inside the rear panel when you could use Nutserts. Just a hole and the insert compression gun. I would think there would be no deduction of points in a concours event as there was no specific way to mount the license plates back in the day.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#18 Post by Dave Wildrick »

David Jones wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:05 am Why put nuts up inside the rear panel when you could use Nutserts. Just a hole and the insert compression gun. I would think there would be no deduction of points in a concours event as there was no specific way to mount the license plates back in the day.
You could also use Wellnuts (Rawlnuts), which make a Neoprene rubber seal and require no special tool.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#19 Post by Eric McKinley »

Marc,

I used the holes that were in the body and had been filled, worms holes, redrilled them and mounted the bracket, I did have it initially stuck to the body using double sided tape, it looked like an after thought. The bracket looks more correct however I can see what you mean about it flapping around.
I spent this afternoon in Essex with Paul at PRS and got a chance to see his cars and how his plates are attached, mainly screwed straight to the body, looks perfect, only one with the bracket.
I also got my first drive in a 356, 5 years of ownership and never been in one, a good bunch of guys.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#20 Post by Phil Planck »

Do the plate lights still light up the plate when offset that far?
Phil Planck

ralph bauer
356 Fan

#21 Post by ralph bauer »

Eric,
A rubber grommet (spacer) between the plate and the body instead of a harder surfaced spacer such as teflon may be less abrasive to the paint.
To position the plate vertically or horizontally I have used an old license plate, drilling holes in it matching the holes on the body and then attach the visible plate. If you use a license plate frame it will usually hide the double plate edges.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#22 Post by Mike Wilson »

You could always use a grommet the same size as the bracket hole.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#23 Post by Martin Benade »

Nutserts or welnuts require either a big hole or unusually small screws. In spite of all the cutting, replacing and welding that’s usually done, most 356 owners are loathe to drill or enlarge a hole
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

jule block
356 Fan

#24 Post by jule block »

If the bracket was a dealer installed item was the body drilled from the factory or did the dealer determine where to attach the plate and drill the holes?

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#25 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Geoff Fleming wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 am Unfortunately, hand painted plates are illegal in the U.S. You can't have altered or hand made plates on a vehicle that is driven on public roads. It would be nice, but...
They are here in most States as well - now. But if on the car originally they seem to be fine. As received mine.

SA= South Australia

Sadly, I am in another State and needed new plates and I didn't want to drill holes in the body, I attached the new plates over the original painted ones without screws.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#26 Post by Ron LaDow »

marcsherriff wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:14 am [...][These days, I just get a signwriter to custom make a vinyl replica of my plate, and stick it directly to the body. Looks like the way is is supposeed to.
In CA, that would get you a pretty spendy fine; you *must* have the state-supplied items on the car.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#27 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Jim Liberty wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:43 pm Martin, that is my favored method. Clean, and the plate forms to the car. I will do my '56 EURO. that way, and thank you for reminding me. Jim.
Nice shop you have Jim, thanks for the beers too. Martin

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#28 Post by Bill Oldham »

On Feb 9 2015, under a similar topic (61 356B T5 Rear License Plate Mount) I posted a different solution, one using a bracket with no holes drilled in body. I do not know how to get an index number that takes you there, but you can search that topic.

marcsherriff
356 Fan

#29 Post by marcsherriff »

The talk of painted plates, decal plates, etc. I find that my car draws more looks of admiration and respect from the constabulary, rather than suspicion about what they could get me for.
Sure a painted plate, or decal plate is illegal here, but the only times I have been pulled over in my car it was to discuss its history, not what is wrong with it. I rarely drive like I did when I was 19, and draw attention for the wrong reasons, these days.
I do also keep the original plates in the glove box, should the question get asked.
Marc Sherriff
Marc and Cars
www.youtube.com/c/marcandcars

Perth.
Western Australia.