356 Prices

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Erik Thomas
356 Fan

Re: 356 Prices

#16 Post by Erik Thomas »

Whatever. I just want to be around when the 356 market turns like ( apparently ) the market for Mercedes SL's. Tastes change, people want something different. Back in 1988 I bought an MGTC for 18,000 dollars. It is still worth ... 18,000 dollars. MGTC's were one of the first sports cars to achieve "classic" status, and they were highly coveted by the generation that drove them in the early '50's. But by the 1980's, there was a supply of restored cars that exceeded the demand. Plus they cannot cruise at modern highway speeds. Most 356's are little better in that regard. No AC, no modern creature comforts. I guess if I had a divining rod and could predict the future, I would be rich beyond comprehension, and I am not, so take that with a grain of salt. However, if history is an indicator, what goes up, most often goes down.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#17 Post by George Hussey »

classic car values have always been generational, the biggest inflation caused by the baby boomers , 1 because there were so many of them, and 2 because there were some great cars made during their time. Hence, except for the iconic cars, the cars of the baby boomer times will go back down in popularity and value as the years pass. If you want to sell your 356 I would suggest selling it now!
George Hussey

Drew Ogden
356 Fan

#18 Post by Drew Ogden »

Lots of pent up demand. I know that if speedsters start to drop, I will step in and spend a few hundred grand. I think there are lots of people like me that will prop the market up for nice cars. Lots of emerging markets as well, I just sold a six figure car to Indonesia of all places... What if China starts to allow for old cars to be imported?

Buy the right car and you are fine. Buy a common replaceable 356, and maybe you are more subject to market swings? I am not saying that a regular B coupe is a common replaceable car, but if I were searching a B coupe I would be looking for an original paint specimen with some interesting features or color combo.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#19 Post by Bruce Smith »

Good cars and very fair prices are out there but it takes time away from the keyboard to find them. Over the past year, I travelled to look at three mostly honest cars. Each could be had well below the fanfare. A ’60 cab is now in my garage, a real gem and probably worth more than I paid for it. But I don’t care much if prices tank, I bought it to drive and tinker with. Still an obtainable goal for a 356.
Bruce Smith

ryan base
356 Fan

#20 Post by ryan base »

these days, if I want to see the best inventory of 356's with the best marginally accurate prices, I go to the samba vehicle classifieds for 356's. still half the adds are want to buy, and what they expect to find eludes me.