did all super 90 models have the rear compensator

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
George Hussey
356 Fan

did all super 90 models have the rear compensator

#1 Post by George Hussey »

Just got my cardex, thank you very much, and found out that my 1961 roadster had a super 90 engine installed originally. Did all super 90 engined cars have the rear compensator bar? My 62 super 90 cab has one, but this 61 roadster as long as I have had it never had one. Thank you
George Hussey

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

Re: did all super 90 models have the rear compensator

#2 Post by Geoff Fleming »

The Super 90 'package', included the camber compensator installed, along with the softer rear torsion bars. If the S-90 engine was original to the car, as it left the factory, it would have had the compensator installed, unless a customer specifically requested it to be deleted,. (Highly unlikely).

George Hussey
356 Fan

#3 Post by George Hussey »

thank you for the timely reply. Looks like I need to find a setup now. Please who sells the aftermarket setup? Bought one in the past but forgot where
George Hussey

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jules Dielen »

George i may have an original setup for you if that works
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

JohnPierce
356 Fan

#5 Post by JohnPierce »

Vic and Barbara Skirmants sell a similar and more advanced version. The Forum has many past posts describing it and comparing it to the OEM version. You can email them at: skirmants@hughes.net.
1963 B T6 Project

Eric Lenius
356 Fan
Tag: More is More

#6 Post by Eric Lenius »

George,

You are going to want to measure the torsion bars to make sure they are still the smaller ones. Though it is unlikely that anyone would have gone through the trouble to replace them. Does your transaxle have the cast in "saddle" for the middle of the compensator to mate with? Earlier installations used a bolt on assembly, later have a feature cast into the transaxle case. The bolt on part is less common than the rest of the assembly.

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#7 Post by Geoff Fleming »

The original compensator was often credited with improving the handing of the cars. The only benefit of the spring was to add additional lift to the rear, since the weaker torsion bars would cause the back to sit lower. It was also the weaker torsion bars that improved the car's handling. The compensator spring could actually make things worse, since it pulled the axles downward. This resulted in negative camber...not something you want.
The Skirmants camber regulator looks something like the old bar but actually works as an integral part of the suspension and improves the handling. The regulator does not pull the axles down but maintains them at a positive camber.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

Negative camber IS something you want, within reason. The S90 bar slightly lessens the negative camber as it is carrying some of the car's weight. It is there as part of the factory's reducing roll stiffness. I think Vic's regulator slightly increases negative camber although that is not its main function. Hopefully he will explain what it does as I cannot.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Geoff; your description of the two bars and their resultant effect on camber, has the negative and positive descriptions reversed.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jim Nelson »

FWIW, the S90 package also included Koni shocks. If you really want the compensator for either show purposes or resale, get one ! But if you drive the car, buy Vic’s camber regulator and store the compensator in Vic’s shipping box, pretty much the same size....

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#12 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Vic,
Ah yes...my thinking was in reverse mode! Having used both, I prefer your bar, which I installed just prior to the ECH.

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan
Tag: Drive em

#13 Post by Mark Todorovich »

George, I have an original one in my basement. Same closet the motor is coming out of.
mark
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
56 Speedster project now underway
63 Cab?