Steel Sleeve Around Speedo Grommet at Axle

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jack Banville
356 Fan

Steel Sleeve Around Speedo Grommet at Axle

#1 Post by Jack Banville »

I thought this would be a two minute job on my '63 coupe. Wanted to install the grommet at the axle end of the speedo cable. It wouldn't go in. I did some research and learned there is a steel sleeve in the hole preventing the grommet from being inserted. The sleeve is supposed to surround the grommet. How do I remove the sleeve so I can insert the grommet and sleeve in one unit?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jack

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: Steel Sleeve Around Speedo Grommet at Axle

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

Jack,

The steel sleeve is split long-ways so it stays retained in the spindle while pushing the grommet onto a shoulder in the bore.
Removing the sleeve takes a little work by using a plier (or small channel-lock) to squeeze the flaired end (reducing its diameter) enough to pull it out.
Clean out the hole in the spindle, add a little RTV on the grommet, add the sleeve and the grommet to the cable, and insert the cable into the hole.

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jack Banville »

Thanks Dick, for the response. I can't imagine getting a pair of pliers in there to squeeze it together but I'll give it a go.
Jack

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brad Ripley »

There's more to the story ..... The original setup was a small rubber grommet at the bottom of the hole and the steel sleeve above it -- see illustration below. The steel sleeve was discontinued and the rubber grommet was re-designed to perform both functions. It's been my experience, if the steel sleeve is good and not deformed, keep it in place and move on. BUT often the steel sleeve is bent up and otherwise useless. Pull it out, clean out the hole and then put in the new rubber bushing = 644 741 121 00 (VW 111 957 855 A)
Speedo at front axle.jpg
Speedo at front axle.jpg (29.04 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Speedo cable grommet.jpg
Speedo cable grommet.jpg (5.14 KiB) Viewed 920 times

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jack Banville »

Brad,
Thank you for taking the time to post this comprehensive reply.
Jack

jule block
356 Fan

#6 Post by jule block »

So if the steel sleeve is in place then you don’t need the rubber grommet? I have the same issue and only could get the rubber grommet partially in place.

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jack Banville »

Jule,
From what I can tell, the parts manual illustration shows both the grommet and the sleeve. Without the grommet in place, the cable could conceivably pick up water on the cover and route it into the spindle. I'm trying to figure out how to get the sleeve to come out.
Jack

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Brad Ripley »

Here's the VW illustration with the sleeve and seal presented slightly different. I'll say again: either leave steel sleeve in place or pull it out and put in the current version of the rubber bushing.
VW speedo cable.jpg
VW speedo cable.jpg (114 KiB) Viewed 791 times