Removing Fresh Air Vent A Coupe

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Douglas
356 Fan

Removing Fresh Air Vent A Coupe

#1 Post by Steve Douglas »

I'm an redoing the carpet on my 59 A Coupe, and can not remove the air vents, (just above and in front of the speakers). 30 years ago when I did carpet the doors were off and it was easy. Is there a secret way to remove the vent pull assembly? One suggestion was to cut the carpet with a slit at the rear to pass over the knob and chrome bezel.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

Re: Removing Fresh Air Vent A Coupe

#2 Post by Alan Hall »

Steve, If I recall correctly, you have to remove the conical valve assy from the outside door/fender area (I don't really know what to call that area!) Then you can pull the knob and shaft out. Then to remove the bezel you have to remove the nut/locking mechanism from that same area and that is where it gets really tricky because you need to block off the cavity below less you drop the nut down into the body cavities where it will roll back and forth forever (well until you do some major dis-assembly). Last time I did this I think I used a large rag or small towel to stuff into the opening below the valve. Not easy with the door on, but can be done reaching into that area with the door open. Much easier if you have the doors off. It has been a while since I have done this so others may correct anything I am not remembering correctly.

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Douglas »

Thanks Alan, I kept working at it and finally did as you suggested, and was successful in getting them both out. It was a lot easier on the right side, as the left has the antenna in the way.

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rick Albro »

Alan has a good description. There are several posts on how to retrieve the lost nuts that roll around inside. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=46317 The last image should be the second image but I don't see how to edit the order of the images???
#1.jpg
#1.jpg (61.31 KiB) Viewed 599 times
#3.jpg
#3.jpg (142.4 KiB) Viewed 599 times
#4.jpg
#4.jpg (91.34 KiB) Viewed 599 times
#5.jpg
#5.jpg (119.44 KiB) Viewed 599 times
#6.jpg
#6.jpg (127.9 KiB) Viewed 599 times
#7.jpg
#7.jpg (129.66 KiB) Viewed 599 times
#8.jpg
#8.jpg (83.03 KiB) Viewed 599 times
... installation is the reverse process :>)
Attachments
#2.jpg
#2.jpg (209.07 KiB) Viewed 599 times