convertible -D

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David O. Williams MD
356 Fan

convertible -D

#1 Post by David O. Williams MD »

Can anyone describe what color/finish options there were for wheels and hub caps on a the convertible-D?
Thanks
Dave

tim noble
356 Fan

Re: convertible -D

#2 Post by tim noble »

I suggest looking through this great site. Not sure if the specific information is listed but there are lots of photos to survey.
Tim
https://convertibledregistry.com/index.html

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Dave,
If you are asking about factory options for the Conv D, there were very few.
The available wheels were 4-1/2 x 15 steel either silver painted or chrome.
I suppose one could opt for the Carrera lightweight wheels but not sure if that was really an option for a Conv D.
Hubcaps were baby moons for Normals and nipple-type with Porsche crest on the Supers.
That's about it, as far as I know.
Look through the photos as Tim suggested above and also the photos on this website.
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jules Dielen »

Rudge were an option too. very fancy
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Jules
True. Forgot about those.
How about wire wheels? We’re they aftermarket or a factory option?
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#6 Post by JERRY LANDES »

I've had 716/2 option on one and I think that reclining seats might have been another option. I know that was an option on one of my roadsters.

tim noble
356 Fan

#7 Post by tim noble »

I have original reclining seats on my D and original silver painted steel wheels (assuming originally with super hubcaps) as per cardex and COA. The owner bought it in Italy for eventual export to US and it still has the European headlights and overriders. I've read that it was required to replace the headlights with sealed beam units but I'm happy to have the European which work fine with Joe Leoni's relay.
Tim

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Jules Dielen wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:59 pm Rudge were an option too. very fancy
There was a D that was a recent no-sale on ebay that had Rudge wheels as an option, it claimed it was one of 4 with the option.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jules Dielen »

Adam Wright wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:47 am
Jules Dielen wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:59 pm Rudge were an option too. very fancy
There was a D that was a recent no-sale on ebay that had Rudge wheels as an option, it claimed it was one of 4 with the option.
Unless the seller took the time to study every single one of the 1311 convertible D build sheets, there is no way to back that claim up. Same as the bogus claim that only 24 twin grill roadsters were built with a S90 engine. After careful and time consuming research, 76 were found. Just about 1/3 of the total made.
Jules

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#10 Post by Peter Silten »

I, too, thought that was an interesting claim, as the Kardex for my D indicates that it came with Rudge wheels. I contacted the seller, and this is what he said:

"I purchased a Kardex for another Porsche I had through a man who used to run a Porsche junkyard in Florida. He gets the Kardexes from a private individual in Germany who has all the factory records up until about 1976 in his possession. At some point several years ago, the man from Florida wanted to know how many of each type of Porsche came with Rudge wheels. He asked his contact in Germany and he told him there were 4 convertible Ds with them. He also knew how many speedsters, cabriolets, etc, came with Rudge wheels, but I never asked him about those because they didn't affect me."

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jules Dielen »

Peter Silten wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:19 am I, too, thought that was an interesting claim, as the Kardex for my D indicates that it came with Rudge wheels. I contacted the seller, and this is what he said:

"I purchased a Kardex for another Porsche I had through a man who used to run a Porsche junkyard in Florida. He gets the Kardexes from a private individual in Germany who has all the factory records up until about 1976 in his possession. At some point several years ago, the man from Florida wanted to know how many of each type of Porsche came with Rudge wheels. He asked his contact in Germany and he told him there were 4 convertible Ds with them. He also knew how many speedsters, cabriolets, etc, came with Rudge wheels, but I never asked him about those because they didn't affect me."
sure :)

a guy i once knew also knew another guy who knew a guy who spoke to Ferry Porsche. AND FERRY TOLD HIM..
Jules