acorn nuts on sump plate

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: acorn nuts on sump plate

#16 Post by Ron LaDow »

THX for the kind words, guys, but it's pretty doubtful you could get that concept across without a drawing like that.
And Cliff? You own Brit bikes, don't you? Stuff like that was done so you didn't have to check to see if it still had oil.
Seriously, at that time, I'm not sure anyone really cared about some oil-drop leakage. You always got it out of the old 'road-draft' breather tubes.
Oh, and it the factory cared, why did they put that 'guaranteed-to-leak' Cu rivet in the middle of the sump plate?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#17 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Porsche probably didn't use blind holes because their fasteners were made in Germany to spec and didn't leak. They were a very tight fit so they wouldn't come out when the sump plate was removed. The stuff I have gotten from our local metric supplier is a loose to looser fit. Last time I had to select studs to get the tightest ones, so no wonder some heroics may be needed these days unless you have access to high quality metric fasteners. Then it would be advisable to heat the block when installing them. Not so easy to do without a lift. I like the acorn nuts because they protect the studs. I also flatten the plate with a press and a ball bearing If the sealing is in doubt.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#18 Post by Dan Epperly »

It's obvious Cliff. If you ever get lost you could find your way back by following the trail of oil drips. Those Germans thought of everything.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#19 Post by C J Murray »

There is a lot of good logical thinking here! :shock:
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

John Clarke
356 Fan

#20 Post by John Clarke »

Hi all
On this topic of Sump Plates.
With the Lit meeting approaching, is there anyone from the UK flying over that can bring back one of Ron's Sump Plates with the magnet?
Regards Jay

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#21 Post by John Hearn »

Jay
I am over for the event.
Send me an email john356@tiscali.co.uk
KTF
John

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#22 Post by Dick Weiss »

The sump plate studs in blind holes in the case? There wouldn't be enough threads to retain them when being "snugged up" w/the washers and nuts.
Also, I've seen several times that some 6mm hex bolts were placed inside the case; But when tightening the nuts, the bolt may loosen and producing leaks!
As for the cheese head screws holding the horizontal side plates to the heads, the 912 heads were cast w/extra material; Otherwise, add some non-hardening sealant
the screws--I use RTV silicon.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#23 Post by Al Zim »

Close examination of the sump screen in the first picture shows that the stud holes have been distorted. Going one step further you can deduce that the steel sump plate is probably distorted. The cause is simple, the proper torque on the sump nuts was not followed. One of the pluses of the steel sump is that over tightening the sump nuts will not crank the sump cover. If you decide to replace your steel cover I do not believe that it is necessary to replace the magnet. By the time any parts get near the screen or the magnet catches any material the engine id GONE! al zim 2019/02/23
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/