356 Power Steering

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

356 Power Steering

#1 Post by Adam Wright »

Never seen this before.

https://webshop.pattechniek.nl/product- ... xxg_1cpW4g

Described as,
Would there be any interest of electric powersteering for your classic Porsche 911? Unit is installed into the smugglers box (vehicles without aircon.) Unit works speedsensitive, to keep the "feel" with you car at higher speeds. Also for verhicles with aircon there are solutions. Even units for the 356 are available even the replica speedsters based on the beetle. Click the following link for more info:
https://webshop.pattechniek.nl/prod…/el ... rsteering/

This month FREE SHIPPING on the powersteering units.

Also available, tracking units, for route history,
location determination in case of theft! These units can provide a speedsignal based onto the GPS signal to get your unit speedsensitive. you can also use the electronic speedsignal from your porsche if available.

We have more, nice replica steering wheels from the Porsche 356A, these steering wheel have a diametere from 400mm, little smaller them the original. This gives you more leg room and easier going in and out your car. These steering wheels are the perfect addition to our powersteering units! Also the horn push is available.

Let me know if more info is needed: [hidden information]

Price wise:

Porsche 911 powersteering unit €1450,-
Porsche 356 powersteering unit €1650,-
Porsche 356A steering wheel €910,-
Porsche 356 hornpush €150,-

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Patrick.

www.pattechniek.nl

Saw it on a Facebook group.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: 356 Power Steering

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Interesting concept. My guess is that you have to have a 12V system.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Given that it's hard to find a car with lighter steering than a 356, I have to admit power steering was never on Pre Mat's 'development' list.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

I expect that even with an alternator conversion, the charging system on a 356 will have a hard time keeping up with the current draw. Electric steering takes a lot of juice.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#5 Post by DonCichocki »

Again … How about CRUISE CONTROL.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#6 Post by Al Zim »

356 the lightest most nimble car to drive that Porsche ever produced. If you need power steering that something is wrong with your front end suspension or alignment. If you insist on power steering our alternator kits are available from Bosch in 60 amp configuration and from the pacific rim in 100 amp provision. The 60 amp unit will leave you 30 amps to operate the power steering. it is now available for cars with European heaters. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Chris Duerr
356 Fan

#7 Post by Chris Duerr »

Might the power steering kit come with a skirt and halter top for the gender ambiguous sort who can't turn the wheel?

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#8 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Steering effort is minimal on a stock width tire, but low speed parallel parking isn't the funnest with 6+ width tires. I always wonder about the strain on the steering coupler. I'm assuming Rod Emory's 356C4S has power steering but that's a wild build.

I'd be more interested in power brakes, honestly.

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#9 Post by Thomas Sottile »

If your C is working properly you should have no problem with you disc brakes If you need to apply so much force your brakes need to be looked at.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#10 Post by Wes Bender »

DonCichocki wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 am Again … How about CRUISE CONTROL.
At one time I looked into cruise control, mainly for long Interstate highway runs. Generic kits are available. Most need a vacuum source, which wouldn't be too difficult. You also need a speed source. Kits usually put magnets on the drive shaft to count pulses. Without a driveshaft, on the 356 we would probably need to put something in the speedometer drive to derive speed info.

It was fun to design it, but in the end I opted to shunpike and rely on my right foot.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#11 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Thomas Sottile wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:01 am If your C is working properly you should have no problem with you disc brakes If you need to apply so much force your brakes need to be looked at.
Thank you, my C is working properly (for the most part! There's always something to improve/make better). And the car stops perfectly fine with a nice progressive pedal.

I was thinking more as I consider increasing horsepower someday and therefore my acceleration and top speed, it'd be nice to have some pedal assist for a quicker stop. Not all of us have or want to keep our car stock and power assist was added to Porsches starting in 1977 so obviously, there's benefit.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jules Dielen »

my hand throttle works just fine as a cruise control. just don't touch the clutch!
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#13 Post by George Hussey »

sort of ridiculous. These cars are so valuable now that it is tragic to modify them. However if I was going to remake the car today, I would as previously discussed make it with a five speed, a 12 volt alternator system, 912 spec engine with fuel injection, and install C disc brakes.
George Hussey