Engine balance question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Michael Haener
356 Fan

Engine balance question

#1 Post by Michael Haener »

I have a recently rebuilt (by me) 58 normal engine, all stock, with about 550 miles on it.

Today I adjusted the valves, adjusted points and set timing, and was just working on the carbs. My question is: when I put the uni-syn on the 1,2 side, the ball rises to the first mark at about 1500 rpm, but when I place the uni-syn on the 3,4 side, I need to rev the motor to about 2200 to get the ball to rise to the first mark.

Both throttle linkages are the same length, so I’m wondering what would cause the balance difference and what I can do to correct it.

Any advice appreciated.

Mike

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Engine balance question

#2 Post by David Jones »

Michael, do a search on the website for a good description of how to balance carbs. Remove the linkages from both carbs when synching them then reconnect when done with enough slop that one carb linkage does not affect the other. All will become clear if you read the directions.
Here...https://porsche356registry.org/article/46
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Michael Haener
356 Fan

Re: Engine balance question

#3 Post by Michael Haener »

David,

Thanks! I’ll try that tomorrow. (Also, i just figured out that the intake on the uni-syn is adjustable)

Mike