1960 Porsche 356B

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

1960 Porsche 356B

#1 Post by Mike Ruddy »

Over on DDk we're looking at an ad for this 356B and wondering what the game may be.

$20K sets the alarm bells ringing.... Does anybody recognise the photos.

https://www.postwarclassic.com/282821-1960-porsche-356b

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: 1960 Porsche 356B

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

The 2nd picture is when the car was on ebay a few months ago, bidding went into the $50,000's if I remember correctly. I doubt someone is selling it now for $20,000.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#3 Post by Mike Ruddy »

Thankyou Adam.

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bill Lawless »

I find when people post these SCAMS and you not quite sure.. Send an email saying I live about 15 min from there can I come over and see it...
Scams will, not reply or quickly say, well its currently at my brother house in East-Bum-F...... or something like that.. So you can't see it!!!!
There is a Brown Coupe on Craigslist right now that is a scam...
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ronald Sieber »

I notified PreWarClassic that they should look at this thread and determine WTF on this ad. Thanks, Adam, for the added research on that car. Good tip, Bill.
We have to protect our cousins and everyone else from shysters and whatnot. What a world...
KTF,
=rds

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

I'm going to post my standard rant on scams and how to protect yourself below. If you go to #2 you will see what would have applied here, I've never heard of Postwarclassic.com, has anyone ever bought a car off there. I did a quick search and there is one other scam 356 ad, a Convertible D that was on ebay last week for $135000 is now on this website for $50,000. Be careful people, there are far too many scams out there to take big risks.

RANT on Scams, Advice for buyers and sellers. Flame Suit On!
First a word to sellers, there are a couple of things we can do to make it harder for the scammers.

1. It's important when you sell a car to watermark the pictures somehow. There are a million apps for this but you can also go oldschool. When someone I don't know asks me for pictures of a car, I say sure, and cover it in magnets. If they are interested in buying the car they don't care, if they are trying to picture flip or worse, just use the pictures their plans are foiled.
2. It's also why I always take pictures for ebay in the same spot in my shop, that way people recognize the place. I've actually had people call me and say someone was trying to sell one of my cars but they recognized my shop, so it works.

Next a word to buyers.
1. Be careful out there everybody, the more these things are valuable, the more risk, a wise man once said buy the seller not the car.
2. If you think you are being super clever staying up all night searching the dark corner's of the internet and found that Porsche listed on an obscure website and it's just your lucky day or you found some dealer in a small town with a slick website who just doesn't know what he has, don't send the deposit, it isn't your lucky day. If you found it on the internet the gig is up, anyone who can setup a website and take pictures of rare car, can do five minutes of research and won't put it on their site for half of it's true value.
Now if you're pumping gas in your 911 and some guy walks up to you and says he has his uncle's old Porch, do you want to come look at it, that might be real, but if you find it online and it seems like it too good to be true, it is. There was once a time when you could scan craigslist and jump on a deal, that day is long gone. I went to see a well known flipper in NYC several years ago, he had three Indian women sitting in front of computers hitting re-fresh on every craigslist, every classic car forum, and every other avenue every few seconds, that's why that dude calls you within 15 minutes of you placing an ad, trust me you can't compete with that, so if a craigslist ad has been up for more than 15 minutes and it seems like your lucky day, it isn't.
Bottom line, if you find a "super deal" on the internet there is a 90% chance that it is a scam, and if it's not, some flipper will offer the guy way more, and you'll be out of the deal. Another well known west coast flipper will always pay more, just to get people to stop trying. I once won a sealed bid estate auction for three Porsches. Once this guy found out it was me he said, "I'll pay 20% over whatever Adam bid!" Luckily, the seller was a gentleman and I got the cars. But he was willing to do anything to best me.
If you want a deal on a Porsche go out and make some friends, meet other Porsche guys, the best cars never see a for sale sign, they just quietly trade hands amongst Porsche guys. Most of the cars I buy are not advertised, people just know to call me, but all I do is make myself known. I seen some of the best deals happen between two friends, so if you are in the market for a Porsche, get out there and drive, don't surf the net, there are no deals there, but there are lots of scammers.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#7 Post by Jim Liberty »

Adam, please spare us. …..Jim.
Jim Liberty

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Jim Liberty wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:29 pm Adam, please spare us. …..Jim.
Well, Jim, just trying to help the Registry brothers here not get scammed. Because guess who has never been scammed on a Porsche, that would be me. The rules I listed have served me well, so why not share them. Sharing knowledge is what this club is all about right.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jules Dielen »

the convertible D on that same site is also fishy. It just ended on ebay today with a BIN of 139k and now it is on that site listed for 50k. caveat emptor!
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ronald Sieber »

PreWar Car and PostWar Classic are giant sites that list classic cars of all types that are for sale all around the world. I have corresponded with a few dealers on there for different cars in Europe, so it is up to me to vet each individual seller, which is why I shop for cars mostly on club sites.

The guys that run that site are legit; they were just at Retromobile. Methinks that they have to monitor their site better. I'll alert them about the D.

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#11 Post by Bill Waite »

Thank you, Adam. Good advice. Since I normally don't read threads re. "scams," your list here was new to me.
Last edited by Bill Waite on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

1965 356C Coupe "Reversible Outlaw"

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#12 Post by Wes Bender »

It wasn't the advice that Jim was referring to. It was the repetition...... Adam feels that it's worth reading again and Jim feels that we should be able to remember it. I think everyone's heart is in the right place on this.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Greg Stout
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Stout »

My heart is...right on the left side, which IS the right place, even if it's not....sort of confusing, like Porsche deals. I too, remember when you could get a 'deal' on a P-car, back before....
I agree 100% with the part where Adam states that it is relationships and personal contacts that will garner you a 'reasonable' price for a car you seek. 3 years ago I got a T-5 from a friend I met 15 years ago, via the area P-car scene, and he got my car...sort of a swap with $ and parts involved. Could have never done this without us already knowing each other...so, case in point. Southern California, especially the L.A. area seems to have the greatest hunting grounds for P-cars....and a bit of a break on prices due to supply and demand forces. I have bought a car from across the country, but, had a local 356 guy go and check it out for me first...a perk of our Porsche 'family', so to speak. Always have someone you trust lay eyes and hands on the car before you send any $. Happy Hunting !!!!
Member # 1809 , June 1978
'60 Cab-'60 Rdstr-Envimo S:90
'60 Rdstr-'64 C Cpe-'62 Cab
Envimo S:90-'63 Cpe-'62 Cpe
above…all Sold and long gone….
current Garage Pals…
IM Roadster D
1960 T-5 Coupe (52nd one built)
1968 912 Coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Adam Wright »

Wes Bender wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:08 am It wasn't the advice that Jim was referring to. It was the repetition...... Adam feels that it's worth reading again and Jim feels that we should be able to remember it. I think everyone's heart is in the right place on this.
Wes,
I think there is actually more to it than that. Jim recently informed me that he will be doing everything he can to dis-credit my business, so in light of that I guess this can be viewed as a "first salvo" in that campaign.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#15 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Adam Wright wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:43 pm
Wes Bender wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:08 am It wasn't the advice that Jim was referring to. It was the repetition...... Adam feels that it's worth reading again and Jim feels that we should be able to remember it. I think everyone's heart is in the right place on this.
Wes,
I think there is actually more to it than that. Jim recently informed me that he will be doing everything he can to dis-credit my business, so in light of that I guess this can be viewed as a "first salvo" in that campaign.
I'm curious what Jim has against your business. Jim? PM me if it's too sensitive.