Wires to master cylinder and ?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

Wires to master cylinder and ?

#1 Post by Gordon Watkins »

I'm struggling to make the wiring connections beneath the dash with my old wiring harness and have question about the wires which go through the front bulkhead to the master cylinder. I see the two wires which connect to the MC but in that same loom there are two brown ground wires. Where do they attach?

I have a dual circuit MC from Klasse 356 which has two spade connectors. Does it matter which wire goes where? I'm sure simple trial and error will show if brake lights work properly.

Thanks!
Gordon Watkins
1963 356B Super Coupe w/912/SC engine
1986 911 Carrera

Bill Waite
356 Fan

Re: Wires to master cylinder and ?

#2 Post by Bill Waite »

I am not sure about those ground wires. But, re. the two female spade connectors to the master cylinder brake light switch, they just both need to be connected. It does not matter which goes to which post on the switch. Switch merely makes the connection between the two.

In the YNZ harness they are labelled #29 and #33 as follows:

#29: In-line connector for tail light/engine harness to stop light switch (either terminal). Connects with #29 in fuse box to under dash harness.
#33: Stop light switch (terminal opposite #29) to in-line connector for signal/dimmer switch (Match wire colors in switch with wire colors in harness).

YNZ 29 AND 33 REV. 2.jpg
YNZ 29 AND 33 REV. 2.jpg (175.58 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

1965 356C Coupe "Reversible Outlaw"

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

wiper wiring.JPG
wiper wiring.JPG (60.34 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
I think the 2 grounds got to cigar lighter and base of mounting for windshield wiper.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#4 Post by Jim Liberty »

No ground wire on the lighter. ……………...Jim.
Jim Liberty

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#5 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Here two wire loom diagrams that appeared in the Registry's magazine.
I do not see the two grounds close to the brake switch connectors.
Hope you can identify those cables.
Attachments
Wire loom 01.jpg
Wire loom 01.jpg (604.05 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
wire loom 02.jpg
wire loom 02.jpg (805.35 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

#6 Post by Gordon Watkins »

Thanks for the responses! I've been making my way through Greg Bryan's wiring series but hadn't gotten to the one with Bill Romano's great drawings of wiring harnesses so thanks for bringing those to my attention, Hugo. I'll definitely print those out. My suggestion is to include those drawings in the tech articles. Even better, a compilation of Greg's articles.

But unfortunately they don't answer my question. My two brown ground wires are in approximately the location of wire #17 for the hand break switch except that they "Y" out of loom AL, not out of AE, as shown in the upper drawing. The grommet shown in Bill's photo of the brake switch spades in my harness (with old grommet still in place) covers the combined AL/AK looms so I'm sure those grounds went somewhere under the fuel tank and not under the dash.

These drawings are for a C car and mine is a T6B. Wasn't the Hand Break Switch for the C only?

Still scratching my head.
Gordon Watkins
1986 911 Carrera

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Yes handbrake switch was C only
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

And the C doesn't have a wire for an accessory switch as it didn't have one.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#9 Post by Greg Bryan »

Gordon - Is your car a '62?
Perhaps those wires have something to do with remnants of the bottom sending unit harness for the fuel tank - it would be one brown and one green. I know a lot of '62s have been converted to top sender units and I assume it would require some rewiring - abandon the old sending unit wires and install new wires to the new upper sending unit.
Just a guess …..
Greg Bryan

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

#10 Post by Kevin Wills »

Greg Bryan wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:36 pm Gordon - Is your car a '62?
Perhaps those wires have something to do with remnants of the bottom sending unit harness for the fuel tank - it would be one brown and one green. I know a lot of '62s have been converted to top sender units and I assume it would require some rewiring - abandon the old sending unit wires and install new wires to the new upper sending unit.
Just a guess …..
You might be on to something there, Greg. On my 62 with an original harness, only 4 wires come out above the bulkhead on the driver's side. Two for the gas tank sender and two for the master cylinder. No other wires nearby...

Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

#11 Post by Gordon Watkins »

I'll bet you're right Greg. My car is a '62 with a replaced fuel tank with top sender. But both wires look brown (although one could just be especially grimy) and both have continuity to ground.
Gordon Watkins
1986 911 Carrera