Choosing a paint

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Avery Howard
356 Fan

Choosing a paint

#1 Post by John Avery Howard »

Hello, I am preparing to repaint a Ruby Red (702) 1962 T6. The shop is specifying Dupont Centari. I keep seeing Glasurit mentioned... I also see that Glasurit still calls out the 702 formulation.

I am not planning to show the car but also do not want a sub par paint job. Any guidance on what is the "Correct" paint? What are the better than most paints and acceptable? Am I in the right camp or should I specify something else. The original paint lasted 57 years but was oxidized and faded for most of them. I am sure better paints must exist....Comes down to whether it is travesty to use modern on something so classic...

Thank You to all of you on this amazing page.
John
1962 356BT6 S90

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Choosing a paint

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Get some sample cards sprayed from all the manufactures and compare them. Nothing like seeing 5-6 ruby cars parked together and they are all different. I just helped to paint one with PPG. It was exactly the same as my RAL color coded powder. The blue hue in sunlight is hard to replicate. It took a little over 3.5 liters of paint the coupe.
Attachments
C coupe PPG Paint
C coupe PPG Paint
image.jpeg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 1427 times
Sample card next to a RAL ruby red powder on the tool box.
Sample card next to a RAL ruby red powder on the tool box.
image.jpeg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1427 times
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

Dupont is no longer supplying auto paint, and at least in Ohio Centari was discontinued several years ago. It was new technology in about 1970, acrylic enamel. Dupont is now Axalta, they make good products. It is correct that every manufacturer's Ruby red is widely different from another. I have an Axalta single stage urethane on mine, a 2001 Audi color that matches some Ruby red cars very nicely. I can get the code if you are interested.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#4 Post by Jim Liberty »

I let the Paint shop choose the paint manufacturer. Let them know cost is not the most important factor, results are. Single stage for solids, two stage for metallic. That way if there is a problem, the shop can't say "You" specified the paint. Besides his regular supplier will stand behind the product.

……………………………………………..Jim.
Jim Liberty

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

I agree completely with Jim about letting the shop specify the paint, but your shop may be out of touch if that is their choice. Are you sure they are up to doing this job for you?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

John Brooks
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Brooks »

I thing letting the paint shop pick the paint manufacturer, might be why there are so many ruby reds out there. If the shop is a experienced 356 restorer it may work. But getting sample cards and selecting a specific single stage paint like Glasuirt is the best way to get it right. It may be $750-1000 a gallon, but how often are you going to do it?
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

John Avery Howard
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Avery Howard »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will get more data from the shop. He has rebuilt 356's before so I am pretty sure he know we are an obsessive bunch. I read several states banned Centari so that is something I need to understand too. He will be painted in Las Vegas. May be they are laxer there.

Beyond that I'll make sure he has a plan to match my dash. The exterior is oxidized and not going to do the color justice. From reading other posts I often see Glasurit called out. Sounds like it is not a "must do" from this thread. But the fact they actually understand there are 5 "Ruby Reds" and have paint numbers for them all is encouraging.

Many Thanks
John
1962 356BT6 S90

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

The person with the right skills can tint any brand to match your dash, only by luck will any paint match your car perfectly right out of the can.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#9 Post by Joris Koning »

Martin Benade wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:20 am The person with the right skills can tint any brand to match your dash, only by luck will any paint match your car perfectly right out of the can.
How true. I would not trust any mixing recipes. Paints and their chemical composition often change. The best you can do is to follow the system your painter is comfortable with and have a skilled paint mixer match the paint by computer and eye based on an original piece.

FYI, Porsche used several paint manufacturers not just Glasso/Glassomax (Glasurit)
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#10 Post by Erik Thomas »

John:

I used to paint cars, and a lot has changed in 20-30 years. Generally, you will get the better job shooting the paint that the painter has the most experience with. I am partial to single stage urethanes. The last Porsche 356 I used Glasurit for the silver, and it has aged well, which the older technology silvers did not. I found the modern paints to be somewhat easier to apply than the old enamels, like Centari, where I always seemed to be one step away from a run on one side, and dry on the other. With Centari we did at least 3 color coats. We used to go outside and smoke a cigarette to time the coats.

John Avery Howard
356 Fan

#11 Post by John Avery Howard »

Erik and Martin, thanks for the extra insights. I will ask more about what he's used a lot of (and why) and not fixate on the brand.

John
John
1962 356BT6 S90

chris romney
356 Fan

#12 Post by chris romney »

Given what our cars are worth, and how expensive a good paint job is it might be a good idea to get a spray out card from John Willhoit. I think they cost $35. John has gone to great lengths to match the factory colors. It won't stop you from having a different ruby red than most other cars, but at least this way if your painter does a good job matching the paint you will have the original factory color or at least close to it.