Thrust bearing and clutch cable issue

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Nau
356 Fan

Thrust bearing and clutch cable issue

#1 Post by Steve Nau »

I am 2.5 years into my 1956 coupe restoration. Last week I put the transmission back in the car.
When I measure the space between the thrust bearing and the back of the transmission per the shop manual I get 2.5 inches. The manual calls for 2 9/16 inches.
First question - Is that close enough? I see no way to increase the spacing.

Then I put in the clutch cable. I am using the one that was in the car when I got it. I measures 2057 mm. When I connect it at both ends leaving minimal threads the space on the thrust bearing drops to under 2 inches. Why would that be? I am stumped.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Thrust bearing and clutch cable issue

#2 Post by David Jones »

Steve, the manual is for a 1957 car with everything as installed at the factory. That probably does not apply any more. The below is what I do before installing the engine.
The TO bearing once the engine is installed should be about 40 thou away from the clutch fingers on the type of clutch with a diaphragm spring or from the clutch collar on the coil spring clutch. This distance will give the correct pedal free play when the engine is then installed.
It is likely this will have to be adjusted again after driving the car for a while once everything beds in.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Steve Nau
356 Fan

Re: Thrust bearing and clutch cable issue

#3 Post by Steve Nau »

Thanks