A new look!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: A new look!

#91 Post by Greg Bryan »

Regarding the Digest, if you are not getting it, you will have to "re-subscribe"
Look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24604&sid=44490413 ... a0d1f598c7
Use the process at the end of the thread, not the one made by Barry Brisco many years ago.
One thing to watch for, there will be two areas in the top right where your name appears. Click on the one in the photo in the post.
There have been some reports, as you will see, that the second member name does not appear. Let us know if that's your case (also highlighted in the thread linked above).
Greg Bryan

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#92 Post by Bill Lawless »

It kind of ironic !!!
We should embrace the newest technology, and keep with the times to talk about restoring our Vintage Cars... :wink:
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#93 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Is there a way to shrink the output that I am getting? Everything is super-sized on my screen and no other email that I receive does that, so I suspect that it might be a control panel knob that I can adjust. Tips, anyone?
Thx,
=rds

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#94 Post by Neil Bardsley »

This new looks doesn't really change anything. I can't understand why it was done.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#95 Post by Bruce Smith »

Neil, try it with your phone.
Bruce Smith

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#96 Post by Greg Bryan »

With software, there is going to be change. Part of it is, of course, new versions keep a market open for purchases and a software company must have a revenue stream to survive, but most new versions typically bring new features or enhancements. As much as you may want to keep using a software version, the maker usually draws a line somewhere and says, "We are not supporting earlier versions after Version X." While I'm not a software guy, I was responsible for a number of business software programs at work before I retired, and this was ongoing - new versions, mergers, companies going out of business, etc.

Regarding new features, the new ability to add larger file size without resizing the picture makes the change worthwhile in my opinion. This issue was the chief complaint I was hearing on a regular basis with the previous version of phpBB. Whether they increased the file size or put an automatic file resizer in place, I'm not sure, but as Trevor points out above, a typical iPhone picture can now be added without fiddling with it to make it fit.

In a few weeks, we'll all be used to the new look and won't think twice about it. With that said, if you find something that doesn't seem right or makes it difficult to do something, let us know and the web master can look into it. He's been very responsive to issues and most of the earlier glitches have been fixed.
Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#97 Post by Greg Bryan »

Ronald Sieber wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 am Is there a way to shrink the output that I am getting? Everything is super-sized on my screen and no other email that I receive does that, so I suspect that it might be a control panel knob that I can adjust. Tips, anyone?
Thx,
=rds
Ron - depending on what system you're using, there will be a method to change the image size. On Windows, one holds down the Control key and presses + or - to resize.
Greg Bryan

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#98 Post by Bill Waite »

Ron,

I am sure they will get the "huge photo issue" resolved. For me, (Google Chrome browser / Windows 10) any photo posted larger than about 500 KB comes through in the digest email in a manner that only allows me to see one small section of the huge photo.

I have learned that if I place the cursor over the photo and "right click" there is an option to "open image in new tab." Selecting that quickly places the whole photo in an adjacent tab for viewing. Give that a try.
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

1965 356C Coupe "Reversible Outlaw"

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#99 Post by Curt Dansby »

Ron
Try holding the control button and clicking minus sign ( plus gives you the opposite)

Curt

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#100 Post by Mike Ruddy »

neilbardsley wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:47 am This new looks doesn't really change anything. I can't understand why it was done.
Bruce Smith wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:13 am Neil, try it with your phone.
Neils phone.

I love this new format !

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#101 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

It's taken a couple days to transition over, but it seems to be doing much better now. Curt, what was the advantage of the change?

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#102 Post by C J Murray »

Some study group took a bunch of millennials, handed them a rotary phone, and asked them to make a call. They couldn't do it. The ones that figured out how to dial didn't lift the handset until after they dialed. Well that didn't work. :(
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#103 Post by Adam Wright »

Cliff-
Max, my 8 year old and I went to a Super Bowl party last weekend and while in a neighbor's basement I spied a rotary phone on the wall, baby blue in fact. I told Max I would give him $10 if he could call Mommy. I'm out a tenner!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#104 Post by Curt Dansby »

Hi Charles
We had no choice but to upgrade to keep the platforms working. Had we done noting we would have seen a slow decline of functionality with no option for fixing except doing the upgrade after things started falling apart. I have been putting out fires and not really explored everything but I do think the "find other members" function is much easier. While I prefer to work off a laptop rather than my phone I know a number of our younger populous(and I am quite happy to be able to refer to "a younger populous") like to be able to use the phone and we have had innumerable complaints about I-phone compatibility over the past fe years. Trevor posted a photo and appeared to be happy with the new compatibility.

Trevor- could I trouble you to hopefully wax poetic about this particular improvement?

Thanks
C

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#105 Post by Greg Bryan »

iPhone picture taken in portrait direction
Edit - it appears that if you want to show an iPhone picture so that it displays right-side-up, you need to hold the phone in a horizontal position. This pic was taken with the phone in the long direction up position, but it's a little difficult to tell because of the weird perspective of the picture.
The picture is 2.8Mb, though, and it went right in without resizing.
Extra credit - what's the picture of?
Attachments
IMG_3917 (1).jpg
IMG_3917 (1).jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 1198 times
Greg Bryan