A new look!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

Re: A new look!

#106 Post by John Hearn »

No Daily Digest for the last week.
Have read that I should look in the "user control pane" but I do not have one!!!
The search function has also changed but not for better.
When I go shopping and see a product that I like, but it is labelled new and improved, I walk away.......
The reason I am buying it is because I like it not that it has been improved! Remember the intoduction of "new" Coke in the eighties?
And while I am on my soapbox can we please have a built in spell checker? Or is that hidden in the new and improved digest, I cannot see...
That's my two cents.....
Keeping the Faith, but in withdrawal..............
John

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#107 Post by Mike Ruddy »

Hello John, you user control panel is accessed by clicking on the down arrow next to your name at the top right hand of the screen.

Here it is on my screen....

The spell check seems to be present and correct in both the quick reply and full editor reply boxes. Type 'registree' and a correction is offered.

This forum format is pretty much the same as DDk, maybe even a little slicker. I would say it's a marked improvement over the old format and has been rolled out almost seamlessly.

Coke is really bad for you.

Fred Lawrence
356 Fan

#108 Post by Fred Lawrence »

All I get when clicking the down arrow is “profile” and “logout”. No user control panel. iPad and Safari. BTW, shouldn’t this thread be in “Forum and Site”?
Fred E. Lawrence
1958 356A Speedster 84037
Registry Member #19656

"If the opposite of "pro" is "con, then what's the opposite of "progress?"

Richard Colella
356 Fan

#109 Post by Richard Colella »

Fred Lawrence wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:56 am All I get when clicking the down arrow is “profile” and “logout”. No user control panel. iPad and Safari. BTW, shouldn’t this thread be in “Forum and Site”?
Yes, there is something wrong with the links just under the brown border — quick links, faq, notifications, etc. — using an iPad (but they work using a MacBook). Not sure where to report these issues.

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#110 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Thanks for all of the tips, folks. I look at my Digest on a set of oldish Macs and I do not have an iphone. I am somewhat off the grid and very thankful for that.

That being said, I will have to fiddle with stuff to make this work. When I use "command/control" with "+/-" while looking at a post on the website, it shrinks everything as opposed to just the photos, so the photos become nicely sized but at the cost of readable text, and when I click on a photo (as has been advised) when looking at the Digest, I can only get the photos that have been posted that day in a group and separated from the text. So I have to go back and forth, read some text, look at a group of photos, go back to the text, scroll down for what seems like forever, read some more, etc. Very tedious, but I'm trying.

Neither of these scenarios provide me a quick scan of what is going on in the community, which is a nice feature of a "digest," so I will have to keep fiddling around until I find a solution. It used to be easier when I had a random teen or two living in my house.

Another thing that I noticed in the new format is that each topic is now "spread out" more and padded with greenish separators so that each topic with all of its replies is now about as long as what the former Digest appeared to be on my Mac. So going through the Digest is now a lot like reading the Sunday edition of the Times. I was wondering if the programmers would be able to look at the Digest on a Mac and tweak it a bit so that it shrinks the padding, the oversize photo files, etc that are apparently showing up in my version. Please keep in mind that nothing on my end has changed, and so I get all of my other email newsletters in a readable format with no changes.

I am making these observations in the hope of improving the reading experience for any other Mac desktop user out there if they are having the same problem. I will continue to fiddle at my end too, although I suspect that it is in the new and improved coding, since it is not showing up in any of my other emails, etc... Jus'Sayin'

The photo quality seems to have improved, BTW.

Cheers,
=rds

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#111 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Fred Lawrence wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:56 am All I get when clicking the down arrow is “profile” and “logout”. No user control panel. iPad and Safari. BTW, shouldn’t this thread be in “Forum and Site”?
Hey Fred: I have the same problem. If you haven't yet tried this, move to the left on the home page and click on 356TALK FORUM. Your name will show up on the right. Click on the arrow next to your name and you should find "user control panel" there. But, I'm using a PC.

New and improved? I don't think so. Using the User Control Panel I've spent the last week changing one option selection at a time each day trying to get the presentation into a somewhat readable format similar to what we used to have. I'm sure Curt et al worked long and hard on this project but the best of all possible worlds it aint, yet. Mom always told me exclamations like "this sucks!" are boorish so I'll just say this is dreadful.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Richard Colella
356 Fan

#112 Post by Richard Colella »

PaulAhnell wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 am
Hey Fred: I have the same problem. If you haven't yet tried this, move to the left on the home page and click on 356TALK FORUM. Your name will show up on the right. Click on the arrow next to your name and you should find "user control panel" there. But, I'm using a PC.

New and improved? I don't think so. Using the User Control Panel I've spent the last week changing one option selection at a time each day trying to get the presentation into a somewhat readable format similar to what we used to have. I'm sure Curt et al worked long and hard on this project but the best of all possible worlds it aint, yet. Mom always told me exclamations like "this sucks!" are boorish so I'll just say this is dreadful.
Paul, those links are broken on iPads. The only links that work in the header are are those inside the brown header. The ones below it, not so much.

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#113 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Curt Dansby wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 pm Hi Charles
We had no choice but to upgrade to keep the platforms working. Had we done noting we would have seen a slow decline of functionality with no option for fixing except doing the upgrade after things started falling apart. I have been putting out fires and not really explored everything but I do think the "find other members" function is much easier. While I prefer to work off a laptop rather than my phone I know a number of our younger populous(and I am quite happy to be able to refer to "a younger populous") like to be able to use the phone and we have had innumerable complaints about I-phone compatibility over the past fe years. Trevor posted a photo and appeared to be happy with the new compatibility.

Trevor- could I trouble you to hopefully wax poetic about this particular improvement?

Thanks
C
Thanks, Curt! I was just curious.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Fred Lawrence
356 Fan

#114 Post by Fred Lawrence »

Tried the “click the down arrow” thing on a Windows 10 PC and Google Chrome. Same thing, no user control panel there either. Haven’t tried Paul’s suggestion yet but will shortly.
Fred E. Lawrence
Registry Member #19656

C J Murray
356 Fan

#115 Post by C J Murray »

It's getting a bit better. I do like the large pictures. No complaints from me.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#116 Post by Martin Benade »

It is settling down and working. I am glad the strange looking heading and logo got replaced by the familiar beautiful brown bar, now I feel more at home. CJ, "no complaints from me" is pretty high praise.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Fred Lawrence
356 Fan

#117 Post by Fred Lawrence »

So on the PC and Google Chrome, the drop down arrow doesn't work, but moving the pointer to slightly below my name (next to notifications) underlines the name and clicking then brings up the dialog with user control panel. Hope this helps others and gets fixed.
Fred E. Lawrence
Registry Member #19656

C J Murray
356 Fan

#118 Post by C J Murray »

Martin Benade wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:50 pm CJ, "no complaints from me" is pretty high praise.
Somebody is working hard. Do we know who is doing the actual work? Maybe I missed that.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#119 Post by Mark Roth »

Just received my digest after I resubscribed. Hadn't received it in days. I agree that advance notice would have been useful. There is no down side to notice. Just tried to read the digest on my iPhone. Need a microscope. See attached screenshot. Photos are huge and text is microscopic.
Digest IP 2.jpg
Digest IP 2.jpg (108.11 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
Also noticed that Trevor Gate's photos at Jack Stagg's shop do not appear in the digest on my PC (Windows 10/Chrome)
Digest PC.pdf
(365.81 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
but appear on my iPhone.
Digest IP 1.jpg
Digest IP 1.jpg (105.79 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
What's up with that?
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#120 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Fred Lawrence wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:14 pm Tried the “click the down arrow” thing on a Windows 10 PC and Google Chrome. Same thing, no user control panel there either. Haven’t tried Paul’s suggestion yet but will shortly.
If we're giving feedback, I have windows 10 and Chrome and the up and down arrows work for me.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)