A new look!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Oldham
356 Fan

Re: A new look!

#121 Post by Bill Oldham »

Curt,
Keep the faith. I suspect you are hearing especially from the folks with problems; there are a lot of people with no or smaller problems. Besides, given that we are dealing with 60+ year old cars and age-appropriate owners, the curmudgeon fraction in this group is very high. (I qualify; born before WWII). Its a really nice bunch of grumpy old guys, one just has to understand em. I think you have explained multiple times that there was no choice but to upgrade, so ignore the "if it aint broken don't fix it" theme. Personally, I haven't yet figured out a lot of it, but as I do, it's better.
bill

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#122 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Mike Ruddy wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:34 am Hello John, you user control panel is accessed by clicking on the down arrow next to your name at the top right hand of the screen.

Here it is on my screen....

The spell check seems to be present and correct in both the quick reply and full editor reply boxes. Type 'registree' and a correction is offered.

This forum format is pretty much the same as DDk, maybe even a little slicker. I would say it's a marked improvement over the old format and has been rolled out almost seamlessly.

Coke is really bad for you.
Windows 10, IBM, Chrome- control panel does not come done when hovered over. Just to let you know.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#123 Post by Wes Bender »

I'm not sure it's supposed to come down when hovered over, Chuck. If you click on the down arrow next to your name and then click again on the control panel name, it works for me.

+1 on KTF Curt. It was a rough start and caught a lot of us "curmudgeons" by surprise, but it seems to be going well now. There will always be some that don't like the change, but they are in the minority.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#124 Post by Jay Broemmel »

When I get the way too small text font digest on my phone, I just turn it 90° a couple of times and it corrects to the proper font size. J

Richard Colella
356 Fan

for those using an iPad.....

#125 Post by Richard Colella »

After some playing around I managed to get the links below the brown bar to work on an iPad (e.g., notifications, faq, quick links). The trick is to touch the screen about 1/8" below the text. It's a bit finicky, but it does work. It's the same on a MacBook -- hover the mouse about 1/8" below the text on the screen and the pointer will change to the "hand" symbol (indicating it's clickable).

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#126 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Wes Bender wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:49 am I'm not sure it's supposed to come down when hovered over, Chuck. If you click on the down arrow next to your name and then click again on the control panel name, it works for me.

+1 on KTF Curt. It was a rough start and caught a lot of us "curmudgeons" by surprise, but it seems to be going well now. There will always be some that don't like the change, but they are in the minority.
Thanks, Wes. Someone (I think Curt) sent me an email and said to use control- and It worked.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#127 Post by Trevor Gates »

Curt Dansby wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 pm Hi Charles
We had no choice but to upgrade to keep the platforms working. Had we done noting we would have seen a slow decline of functionality with no option for fixing except doing the upgrade after things started falling apart. I have been putting out fires and not really explored everything but I do think the "find other members" function is much easier. While I prefer to work off a laptop rather than my phone I know a number of our younger populous(and I am quite happy to be able to refer to "a younger populous") like to be able to use the phone and we have had innumerable complaints about I-phone compatibility over the past fe years. Trevor posted a photo and appeared to be happy with the new compatibility.

Trevor- could I trouble you to hopefully wax poetic about this particular improvement?

Thanks
C
Two things I notice that are BIG improvements.
1. Being able to post a photo directly from my IPhone without having to re-size the pic. This is useful because you can get more detail in the pic.
2. When I go to add an attachment, I can choose up to 10 pics and they will all upload at once. This saves a bunch of time. I uploaded pics to the Jack Staggs thread this weekend. Previously it would have taken me a minimum of 30 minutes, Instead, it took me one minute to upload direct from my iPhone. That’s a win!

PS - Mike, you cracked me up with that pic of Neil’s phone. Classic!!😂
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#128 Post by James Davies »

Agree with Trevor. Uploading photos got *much* easier. Bravo.

Stephen Dempsey
356 Fan

#129 Post by Stephen Dempsey »

I’m okay with the look also, but how do I stop the topic notification emails?

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#130 Post by Mike Ruddy »

I'm still feeling my way with the finer detail Stephen but if you go to top right of the page to the right of your name....

Click the drop down arrow....... to User Control Panel,

Then 'Board Preferences' tab.

Then, left hand column ' Edit notification options'

Then tick/untick the notification type .... there's a choice but most probably....'Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed'

Stephen Dempsey
356 Fan

#131 Post by Stephen Dempsey »

Thanks Mike!

Erich Wagner
356 Fan

#132 Post by Erich Wagner »

Many people say "change is good" but nobody said WHY?

I am pretty direct.. I don't like the new look.
It is not logical as we, in Austria, "still" read from left to right and the first thing i want to know is who is or was writing what i read further right and not the other way around.
It makes no sense to move those things...
The BIG plus is that the picture uploading is more easy.

I am still reading from left to right... :-) till i die.. and this is the only website i know it is the other way around.

Anyway, people are the same and that is what counts :-)
Have fun, Eric

"In torque we trust"

1958 Speedster->resto           1957 Coupe
1954 1500-S Sunr. Project      1951 Coupe Project
1952 Denzel 1950 Coupe
http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17124

Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

#133 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

I am ok with the new look too and agree some fonts need to be bigger. What has changed is after you read a post and click out of it the heading or Re: it became faded. I used this to show that I have read the post already. Now the post or Re: stays the same. Can we get this back?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#134 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Leo Dreisilker wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:25 am I am ok with the new look too and agree some fonts need to be bigger. What has changed is after you read a post and click out of it the heading or Re: it became faded. I used this to show that I have read the post already. Now the post or Re: stays the same. Can we get this back?
Mine still works that way. No problem.

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#135 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Arrrghh! This has gone far enough! I'm sure a lot of lot of work went into this New Look but it's still cobbed up to a fair-thee-well at my end on my PC.

This morning the Index listed Post IDs from 327314 (13 Feb19 @ 22:38) down to 327241 (13 Feb19 @ 00:23) while skipping 12 numbers in between. I received Post IDs 327314 through 327305. Why didn't I receive the other 48?

Also, try as I may, I can't get Topics and replies ordered as one group under that Topic as it used to be (referred to as "Traditional Order" before the change). Makes it hell to follow a thread.

Photos and attachments are of different sizes and shapes and; some complete, others are truncated, and others just say attachment: xxxxxx.jpg which do nothing when you click on them.

I'm not a wizard with computers but I'm smart enough to follow directions. Where are they?

The Forum early morning read with my first cup of joe was usually the most pleasant part of my day. Not now. It's a nightmare.

IMHO this is a mess. Bring back the old and please don't tell me change is good. I'm too 'effin old to hear that baloney.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe