A new look!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

Re: A new look!

#136 Post by Mike Ruddy »

The way I use the 356 Registry forum is this :- Many moons ago I pressed the button that says 'unread posts' It's up at the top on the right alongside 'new posts' and 'your posts'.

This gave me a page showing any threads from from any board on the forum that has new replies I haven't read.

I then saved this page in favourites and the link appears at the top of my screen as a button alongside all my other favourites... News, Facebook, DDk, weather etc.

When I want to look at the Registry I just click on the button and the first page I see is the list of topics that have new posts added.

Like this :-

You can see my 356 button at the top between Weather and Esquire.

Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 14.14.55.png
Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 14.14.55.png (923.36 KiB) Viewed 1574 times

I've never used the digest facility, I find this way works fine for me.

I hope this helps somebody, maybe somebody has a better way still, I'm no expert.

I'm on a Mac by the way... if that makes a difference.

Robert Bates
356 Fan

#137 Post by Robert Bates »

I agree with Paul. This has been a difficult time. Always enjoyed the digest in the morning, but this "new look" doesn't seem to work well on my computer.

Greg was a big help to at least get me somewhat back in action. But, while I now receive the digest, I only receive a portion of it.

I'll keep playing with it, but it is frustrating. I've been a member since 1974, despite what it says on my profile, so this group is important to me.
Bob Bates
1962 356B Notchback
73 911S Targa
2003 996 Turbo

Fred Otjen
356 Fan

#138 Post by Fred Otjen »

Only a truncated digest today what’s up?

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#139 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Having no problems now. Seems better on smart phones than the last software and the login easier. Default font size could be a bit bigger on small screens. Overall adjustment has taken place, even for us older users.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#140 Post by Bob Forman »

My email to the webmaster failed. Wanted to ask why only a few photos open in the digest. Also, it seems to take up a lot of screen space.
Bob Forman

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#141 Post by Martin Benade »

I generally use the "active topics" category. Is there a way to return directly to that after making a post?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#142 Post by Greg Bryan »

Bob Forman wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:44 pm My email to the webmaster failed. Wanted to ask why only a few photos open in the digest. Also, it seems to take up a lot of screen space.
Bob - The web master has been doing a lot of tweaking to the digest to make it easier to read and have it display well on the many platforms that there are out there.
I usually read the digest on my iPhone and it seems to be working quite well. Maybe you can be more specific as to what your issues are.
Regards
Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#143 Post by Greg Bryan »

Martin Benade wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:27 am I generally use the "active topics" category. Is there a way to return directly to that after making a post?
Martin - I'm not sure there is a quicker way than scrolling to the top and clicking the Active Topics 'button'.
Greg Bryan

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#144 Post by Martin Benade »

The old system had a way, it was handy. Maybe that feature will come back?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#145 Post by Bob Forman »

Greg, hope to see you at the lit meet.
Bob Forman

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#146 Post by Paul Ahnell »

OK, the dust seems to have settled around this Subject so maybe the Webmaster or others have time to answer the questions I have posed on more than a few occasions. I'm using a PC w/Win 10.

1. How can I gather all replies for the same Topic under one Topic heading in the daily digest rather than have them spread throughout the daily presentation?

2. How can I click on the Post ID # in the index and have it jump to that reply rather than to the top of the Index?

3. How can I get all photos to post in the Daily Digest? Some come out super-large, others medium, and others just say something like "attachment and give a "blah, blah.jpg" number which won't open when I click on it.

The above actions were available before "A New Look!" It seems I have tried every permutation and combination available on my user control panel to no avail. Have we lost those capabilities?

Thanks for any help and clarification.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan

#147 Post by Paul Ahnell »

OK, the dust seems to have settled around this Subject so maybe the Webmaster or others have time to answer the questions I have posed on more than a few occasions. I'm using a PC w/Win 10.

1. How can I gather all replies for the same Topic under one Topic heading in the daily digest rather than have them spread throughout the daily presentation?

2. How can I click on the Post ID # in the index and have it jump to that reply rather than to the top of the Index?

3. How can I get all photos to post in the Daily Digest? Some come out super-large, others medium, and others just say something like "attachment and give a "blah, blah.jpg" number which won't open when I click on it.

The above actions were available before "A New Look!" It seems I have tried every permutation and combination available on my user control panel to no avail. Have we lost those capabilities?

Thanks for any help and clarification

To Web Master or Greg or Curt or whoever put together this "New Look", I've asked several times for help with this problem above and have received zero response from those who should be in the know. I'd think common courtesy would dictate at least a simple reply e.g. "Your call for help is important to us. Please be patient and we'll get to you soon." or "Get bent. You're SOL. Stop bothering us and deal with it.".

Really disappointing.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#148 Post by Curt Dansby »

Paul
I understand that this thread turned into a "help request of sorts" post the transition but I have also posted numerous times in this forum that the best method to address problems/concerns is via e-mail. I have many balls in the air at any given time and I am not able to go thorough the forum with much frequency. Lets attempt to get this straight one more time( as also posted multiple times in this thread) NO ONE "put together this new look". This was a software update from PHPBB that we were compelled to perform. Had we not done so functionality of the site would have gone on a downward spiral. SO you may have asked several times but I have not received any e-mails from you regarding these issues (you have e-mailed me in the past and as I can see from old e-mail trails I attempted to help help you in those instances)
I have forwarded your issues to our web guy and we will see what he says.
Thanks for your support.
Curt

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan

#149 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Curt: Thanks for your reply and thanks again for the help you gave me in the past. I did make at least two attempts to contact someone "in the know" by e-mail; one to the Webmaster using 356talkadmin@porsche356registry.org <356talkadmin@porsche356registry.org> (this looks nothing like the original address to Webmaster. After I copied and pasted it here it was transmogrified); and the other using the "contact us" mail at the bottom of this page. I avoided e-mailing you directly thinking you had enough to do with all the grousing going on about the new look. Webmaster has given no reply so he must be busy putting out fires. I don't know who answers "contact us" but no reply from that either.

I think it would help if the publisher issued a primer on what has changed and how to make things look somewhat similar to the way it used to look.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe