Original Axle Boot Installation (no seam) slip over method.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

Original Axle Boot Installation (no seam) slip over method.

#1 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Watched my buddy do this on my axle tubes the other day. ONE minute per side (not including clamp time).
Not necessary to knock the pin out by the spring plate bolts and slide the boot on, (old fashion method).

He has had a VW transmission shop since the early 80's. Said he has been doing it this way for 30 years.

His method. He screws 2 - 3" long studs into the bearing cap bolt holes on the axle tube (staggered).
Then puts the axle tube vertical in a vise (holding the temp studs) flange pointing up.
Pops the new original no seam axle boot inside out.
After that he puts the (inside out) axle boot in the microwave for 8 to 10 seconds. Does this job with no lube.
Uses a rag do to the boot being hot. Does the microwave part one boot at a time so they are nice and hot.

Next he puts the big end over the flange then comes the small end where he has a mini tire iron.
He takes his tool and walks the boot around just like a tire on a rim, then slides it down about 8" down on the tube.

Last a quick jerk upward putting the boot back to the correct position (no longer inside out) and ready for clamps.

Here is a video of a guy doing it with hot water and lube similar to the way my friend does it.
Only much slower and the tube in the vise horizontal not vertical, and needs a helper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFMHoYAd1gs

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Re: Original Axle Boot Installation (no seam) slip over method.

#2 Post by Harlan Halsey »

My guy suggests carefully checking the flange for edge roughness and smoothing it if necessary first.

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#3 Post by DonCichocki »

Nice video! Thanks!

John Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Brooks »

Heating the rubber has always been the secret. Windshield seals all the rubber trim. I use boiling water. A couple 3/8" polished steel rods with handles, 400 grit paper on the flange edge to remove any burrs, and a little grease. The boot cools fast so you need to be quick. But it's not all that hard
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

#5 Post by Kevin Wills »

Just did my boots with this method a couple of weeks ago. No heat, but with lubrication starting with the boot inside out. As I learned on boot number two, turn it right side out before it shrinks back down or it'll be a bitch. Definitely easier than driving out the pin and pulling the end, and no nicks on the fresh paint job.