Bogus Carrera Speedster?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
George Hussey
356 Fan

Re: Bogus Carrera Speedster?

#91 Post by George Hussey »

European Collectibles does have a good reputation Something deeper must be going on here
George Hussey

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#92 Post by Richard Emerson »

Jacques Lefriant wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:26 pm I don't see the problem the car sold for much less than the estimate maybe since it was "restored" not to authentic condition? but unless there is another car with the same serial no with a better providence who cares.
j
The reason I believe that it sold below the estimate is that there were rumors then that it wasn't what it was supposed to be.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#93 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Richard
From what I understand this Speedster was originally raced and fell on hard times. European Collectibles did their better than most refurbishment and put it in a very presentable cosmetic and functional state. Mr Sienfeld may have bought it on a whim and for whatever reason probably he had a better more original example and sent it to auction so that it would not languish in his collection. The less than knowledgeable buyer went ballistic when he was informed by some so-called expert/s that there were possibly issues. It is not hard to find issues with old Porsche like ones done by present day restoration shops, Porsche Classic or even cars in Porsche own museum. I stand behind my assertion unless there is another one with a better chain of custody it is what it is a redone race car put into a approximation of what it once maybe was.
j

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

After reading the complaint I find little "meat"

#94 Post by Tom Coughlin »

The complaint repeatedly states that the car is not authentic. After a broker in the UK Maxted-Page Ltd. would not relist it for auction, subsequent inspection and investigation revealed that the Vehicle was "not authentic". There was nothing I saw that backed up or gave a basis for the not authentic statement.
There was also a comment about the lack of restoration photos.
This legal battle may come down to how some judge views the authenticity of an old race car, but more likely the deal will be terminated. It appears that the buyer may be afraid he won't make as much profit as he'd hoped to make.
 KTF, member #15