Bogus Carrera Speedster?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Bogus Carrera Speedster?

#31 Post by Mike Wilson »

What I've noticed from a couple of the news agencies is a reference to either a "replica" or fake Speedster, neither term referenced in the complaint.

As previously mentioned, until the discovery documents are made public, we don't know what the basis of the complaint really is or if it has merit.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#32 Post by Vic Skirmants »

"couple of the news agencies is a reference to either a "replica" or fake Speedster"
That's because the media is full of idiots who couldn't find productive work.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#33 Post by Mike Wilson »

You nailed that one, Vic!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#34 Post by Martin Benade »

That is sort of a "political bent" comment.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#35 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Martin Benade wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:42 pm That is sort of a "political bent" comment.
REALLY???

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#36 Post by Martin Benade »

Nowadays it looks a little like one. Your thinking may not have been that at all. Sorry.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#37 Post by Adam Wright »

Concerning this Speedster, the lawsuit is not detailed on what they are saying is not right about the car, so until we have more info everything is pretty much speculation and since reputations are on the line I don't think anyone should get too crazy in their theories.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#38 Post by Richard Emerson »

Robert Thiemrodt wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:07 am ABC Nightly news last night did a 60 second story saying Jerry sold a replica Porsche Speedster. Is it any wonder why people don't trust the media? I wonder if they'll do a follow up story when it's found Seinfeld did nothing wrong?? Seinfeld selling a replica, give me a break!!
My guess is the issue is that Seinfeld bought it without knowing it had issues and then sold it probably in the belief it was as described but it turned out not to be. Not a replica but reading between the lines some creative reconstruction perhaps? Seeing the pre restoration photos would probably clear a lot of that up.

Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

#39 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

Richard Emerson wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:54 pm
Robert Thiemrodt wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:07 am ABC Nightly news last night did a 60 second story saying Jerry sold a replica Porsche Speedster. Is it any wonder why people don't trust the media? I wonder if they'll do a follow up story when it's found Seinfeld did nothing wrong?? Seinfeld selling a replica, give me a break!!
My guess is the issue is that Seinfeld bought it without knowing it had issues and then sold it probably in the belief it was as described but it turned out not to be. Not a replica but reading between the lines some creative reconstruction perhaps? Seeing the pre restoration photos would probably clear a lot of that up.
And you may be right. My point was only a national news agency reports that Seinfeld is being sued for selling a fake Porsche Speedster. Who wants to bet they go radio silent when the facts come out that it’s authentic, just restored in a fashion the buyer is not happy with? Or perhaps the buyer sees the market correction of approximately 20% and sees his investment lost $300,000. I attended the auction, saw all the Seinfeld cars, they were stunning!!! What’s tomorrow’s news headline, “Seinfeld selling the Hope Diamond on EBay”?
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#40 Post by Richard Emerson »

Robert Thiemrodt wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:45 pm
Richard Emerson wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:54 pm
And you may be right. My point was only a national news agency reports that Seinfeld is being sued for selling a fake Porsche Speedster. Who wants to bet they go radio silent when the facts come out that it’s authentic, just restored in a fashion the buyer is not happy with? Or perhaps the buyer sees the market correction of approximately 20% and sees his investment lost $300,000. I attended the auction, saw all the Seinfeld cars, they were stunning!!! What’s tomorrow’s news headline, “Seinfeld selling the Hope Diamond on EBay”?
Would you feel differently if it was reconstructed around a data plate or title, to pick an extreme scenario? And Seinfeld was unaware of that when he both bought and sold? The buyer would be upset and the seller wouldn’t have done anything wrong except inadvertently mischaracterize it. Then it becomes a legal issue.

I don’t think the buyer - a billionaire - is put out by a market correction - and there hadn’t been one in these carreras either from my opinion.

Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

#41 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

Adam Wright wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:59 pm Here are some more pics of when it was on the block.
I see you like my pic's Adam. What a great auction that was!!

Also, if this buyer is a Billionaire, he should have had the resources to give this car a full examination prior to bidding. Secondly, rich people don't like losing money. In fact I would guess they hate losing it even more than the average Joe.
Third, I thought buying at auction means as is/where is??? Is this NOT the case???
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#42 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

Hell, the value on this one probably just went up due to the dialogue.
Rusty

Frank Barrett
356 Fan

#43 Post by Frank Barrett »

Heck, just ask Leo. He's still alive and kicking and living in Stamford, Connecticut.

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#44 Post by Matthew Devereux »

I'm assuming there is no merit to this claim and Seinfeld will probably just laugh this one off like the vege plagiarism law suit a few years ago.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#45 Post by Jim Alton »

The case is discussed at Lehto's Law www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdxKHvQjPY although there's not much new information.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster